I want to keep her broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michelle89, Jan 30, 2012.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    My BO has become broody and I want to find her a couple of eggs to hatch.Can I fake her out by putting a couple of eggs under her until I can find the real thing?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That's exactly what I would do. I have some fake (ceramic) eggs I got from ebay -- Coops'nMore---they have a web site too. You could probably get your fertile eggs in the same time that you could get fake eggs.

I had one on the edge of broodiness, and I think that the fake eggs, give them that sensation that stimulates their hormones to keep them in the nesting mode.

Good luck, hope you have success with her. I'm subscribing, so please post back and say how it goes and if you have success with the approach.

3. michelle89

Jan 11, 2011
    I put a couple eggs under her today and she didn't seem to mind, she looked at me as if to say "thank you" haha! I'm going to post an add in the wanted section to see if I can get just six eggs,I don't want a dozen +. I'll let you know how it goes! She's been in her nest box now for two days, and boy does she get irritated when I get too close!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It sounds like you are on your way. I was looking at fertile eggs at My Pet Chicken (dot com) They have a huge variety. Send them in the mail, and you can buy as many as you want (or as few) from what I can tell. One thing about fertile eggs, and about shipped eggs.....You never know just how many will hatch.

Also, I heard that if she sits on the nest for 2-days she is definitely broody. Soooo you get your eggs, add 21 days and voila! Chicks!!!

Good luck with it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

I have to add, last summer, I put some fertile eggs under my hen who was never happier she kind of purrs when on the nest, clucks, sings, and I know what that 'thank you' look must have been..... But I had a huge weather event, and she nearly died of heat stroke, subsequently decided that that particular nest location wasn't a good one. But she is still alive now---and everynow and then goes and sits on the nest and dreams of what might have been. ;O)

Also, I think that the auctions on BYC may have different numbers than a dozen, and/or you could contact the seller and see if you can come to an agreement on the number of eggs that you want.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. michelle89

Jan 11, 2011
    Today is day three, I found some eggs here on the auction board. I posted a wanted add and within 15 minutes I had numerous responses. I was contacted by someone in my state, so I went with her she is shipping today. I put a couple of eggs under her yesterday and she seems pretty content. When the package arrives I will hurry home and get them under her hiny! When incubation starts I'm going to be like an expectant mom, its going to be hard to leave her alone and not peek! [​IMG] I will let you know how it goes! At least the weather here is pretty mild right now, no extreme weather here!
    You're so right my hen sings and clucks and looks so darn happy! Thats why I had to get some fertile eggs it was breaking my heart watching her sit so patiently for nothing!

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by