I want to kill my dogs...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Eduardo, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I have 4 dogs, 3 rottweillers and a labrador-devil mix. Well today I find my best hen, a silkie with a broken neck. This hen has been thru so much, rains, ant attack, and always sat on her eggs no matter what and kept hatching and hatching. It was the dogs I'm sure, just because they are so many they feel there's no accountability and they do whatever they want. They killed a rabbit last year and tore it to shreds. I'm considering butchering the ugliest one and spreading it out on the backyard for the others to see and see if they gain some conscience from it...

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am sorry you lost your hen but it sounds like time to start rehoming some dogs.

The rotties will "play" with them and kill them and the labrador is a bird dog sooo if you have not trained them otherwise, they are doing what comes naturally. Only choices...protect the chickens with a sturdy secure run or rehome the dogs.

3. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I wouldn't be too harsh on them. Sleep on it and think of your options. Maybe you can find a good dog training book or talk to a trainer. Rehoming is an option instead of killing.

4. Eduardo

Apr 8, 2009
    It's just very frustrating. The chickens were here before them and they don't understand at all that they shouldn't do this. No remorse, nothing. They are big strong dogs, so you can't beat them, they don't feel pain. Even if I smack them as hard as i can they think i'm playing. I'm very frustrated and mad right now.

5. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    Quote:Beating a dog will not solve the problem. I agree Scarter.

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes, of course they feel pain. And I'm guessing you're a male because of your screen name. You certainly shouldn't be hitting your dogs as hard as you can. You don't even need to hit them. Just train them. Better yet, get someone to train you so you know how to handle them. [​IMG] I'm sorry, but talking about beating your dogs is NOT cool.

7. Eduardo

Apr 8, 2009
    Quote:Yes, of course they feel pain. And I'm guessing you're a male because of your screen name. You certainly shouldn't be hitting your dogs as hard as you can. You don't even need to hit them. Just train them. Better yet, get someone to train you so you know how to handle them. [​IMG] I'm sorry, but talking about beating your dogs is NOT cool.

Maybe I shouldn't air this grievance like this, forget I mentioned it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Even the friendliest, most docile dogs will kill a chicken, even if my accident. Especially if there is more than one dog. They have a pack instinct in numbers.

I'm sorry that this happened. Maybe you need to get an underground fencing system that will keep them from the chicken area. Or if nothing works, rehome them. Try anything before doing anything that will harm them.

A dog is worth a million chickens. That's just my 2 cents worth.

9. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I'm sorry about your silkie! I know my dogs drive me crazy sometimes!! I have thought about rehomeing each one of them at some point since I've had them!! I never do, and we get throught he rough times! I let mine out with the chickens and peacocks all the time, and have not had a problem. One is a basset hound/black n tan mix ...hello hunter!! But still no problem. Well I foster a rotti, and he has to be leashed whenever we are outside, because he lunges at the chickens. I correct him over and over , and he will not stop. I think if they have not been with you since they were pups, it is sooo hard to break them of this habit!!
    Again I am so sorry.

10. Eduardo

Apr 8, 2009
    Quote:Maybe I'm more attached to the chickens because I own just a couple, this was my only adult silkie. She was 3 years old, the dogs are about 1 and a half. And I know the dogs didn't do it on purpose and it's my fault for having the chickens freerage, I am building cages tomorrow. It's just frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by