I want to know about Std. OEGs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Sep 16, 2010.

1. i really want a game chciekn, and so far most of them haven't been working out. i want a pair of oegs plus a bunch of chickens, i probubly will have another std rooster in the same enclosure and a bantam roo or two that free range wth the stds, is there anyway i could keep a std oeg in these condistions? i want to know about them!!!

2. hello? anyone home?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Remember they are gamefowl, and know what you are getting. When you say std OEG's, do you mean the show fowl which are fairly uncommon, or do you mean American gamefowl which are often confused with them? If you go the show fowl route, they will be fine. But If you get a American gamecock and let him free range with other roosters (barnyard or game) you will have trouble, as anytime the other rooster gets too close the American game (this varies by lines, some will wait until the rooster is within a couple feet before he rushes him. Some cocks are not against running after another bird within 30 feet or more of him) he will want to fight him. And then the only outcome of that, is the barnyard rooster running away or dying unless you find them before it gets that serious. There is no possible way to keep them in a enclosure, as then he will chase the yard cock until he kills him or you separate them.

That is just what gameness means, the desire to fight (other birds, if they're aggressive towards you, eat them) until death. Which came from the aggressiveness of the junglefowl during mating season, then artificially selected to increase it by humans for thousands of years (or longer). Or that is what I have believed, perhaps there were some wild junglefowl who were as aggressive as today's games? No clue really.

-Daniel

4. Quote:i mean Standard old english game, not American game. if i were to get some, i'd get them from Cackle hatchery

5. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i mean Standard old english game, not American game. if i were to get some, i'd get them from Cackle hatchery

Talk to prariechiken. He is the only guy who I know of who had the birds from cackle, if I remember he called them "quite game for hatchery birds". But no clue on how much "game" they could be. They might could get along nicely?

-Daniel

6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    There are MANY gamefowl breeder's out there.Even OEGB are consider Game.I have OEGB Black,Blue,Red Pyle,Silver Duckwing.I have never raised any other's as far as Game anything and find most of what I have to be very good temperment bird's.I have a few that do "spar" but nothing major.We did have to put one down a few month's ago due to repeated flogging and attacking Grandbaby.Just about any roo's are going to try to be the Aplha Roo in a group.My Roo Maximus is MOST Awe some He's peanut and a LOVE Hound.I'll leave the Bigger OE's to someone else.Cause they just get paddled here when they Ugly. I don't think Game are any worse than any other chicken's My silkie roo's fight more than my OE''s or my Sexlink Giant roo's..[​IMG].I just don't tolerate Ill behavior be it a soda size bird or a thigh high.
    I have run Jersey Giant's free range with serama and many other's and No problem's.It's up to you and keep a watch on them.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I have raised show bred Old English Games NOT American Games. I have never had one that would allow another adult male to live in the same pen with him, bantam or standard. When I say live I mean it literally, they'd kill any other male.

8. Quote:dang, i guess no Std, OEGs then

9. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Good to hear NYREDS, I meant no disrespect honestly. I just know, that the majority of Old English Gamefowl in the states and other places have taken the same route as Sumatras, and other birds. Once they became show only, the gameness was bred out of them. Which to some people, that is a good thing, but I prefer to have birds in their original state. Just like I don't like that Sumatras are not completely black (bones and all) as they were when first imported.

10. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Good to hear NYREDS, I meant no disrespect honestly. I just know, that the majority of Old English Gamefowl in the states and other places have taken the same route as Sumatras, and other birds. Once they became show only, the gameness was bred out of them. Which to some people, that is a good thing, but I prefer to have birds in their original state. Just like I don't like that Sumatras are not completely black (bones and all) as they were when first imported.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by