i want to learn about cocci-any info appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer12, Mar 9, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    ok, after a very sad loss of an adorable new rooster from what some people on here said was most likely cocci. i just got in 45 new chicks, and am worried about adding them to my existing 7. my questions:
    1) are the babys in danger from this when it comes time to put them in the coop
    2) what can i do to protect them/treat them
    3) will they all get it or just a few?
    4)are their anything else i should be worried about.
    Thank you for reading/answering...sorry if i'm being a little worrisome...i just was really sad when i lost the roo, and don't want anything to happen to these. thanks again

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Did you have a fecal sample tested or what were his symptoms? Why did you think it was cocci? You can get medicated chick starter for the chicks, it contains amprolium and will help to protect them from cocci. You can get Amprol at pretty much any feed store, to use as a preventative and/ or treatment for the adult birds.

But if you're that worried, you need to find out for sure what killed your rooster.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there has been a case of coccidiosis in the flock, then you may want to consider treating the chicks every 3 weeks with a low preventative dose of Corid (amprollium, Ampromed) in the water for 5 days, especially about a week before they are on the ground. All chicks with have a small amount of coccidia in their intestines, and they must be exposed to coccidia to develop immunity over time. Most chickens start gaining immunity between age 11-20 weeks old, but even after that, an immune compromised or weak chick can still get it. There are at least 9 different strains of coccidia that chickens can get, and Corid treats all of them. Many use medicated feed that contains a small amount of amprollium, but that does not guarantee that your chicks won't get cocci. Here are some good links to read about coccidiosis:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
    http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

Corid is a cattle medicine used in chickens:

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    These are per gallon, right?

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Here's another informative article about controlling coccidiosis.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control/

I haven't used medicated feed for many years. I prefer to control the amount of any supplement given to my birds. That way I ensure they get the proper amount.The difference is seen using preventative methods to assist building immunity like Egg mentioned. I do it until about 7-9 months of age and have seen the difference first hand.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes one gallon of water is correct.

7. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks everyone...i am reading the links, good info. I am not positive it was cocci, i just had more than 1 person tell me that's what they thought. He was older (1 1/2 to 2 years), was he still susceptible? I will get som corid...it would be good to have for other newbies later on too. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by