I want to learn how to identify diseases myself. Were do i start.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guineafowlguy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi

I have hundreds of chickens and turkeys and every now and then one dies for no apparent reason. Meaning no signs of predation or disease just dead. However we all know they don't just die for no reason. I cant go to the vet every time so he can send it to the lab so how do i become the lab. I purchased a microscope and was wondering if that would do it. [​IMG]

I know i can not just put on some goggles and a lab coat and become a vet. I will need some knowledge as to what to do. Are there some books or web pages to download? Or Is there a vet on this forum who knows were to start? [​IMG]

I think most problems probably happen in the intestine. But there is a lot of intestine, is there a specific place to look? Say i chicken came down with Coccidiosis . Were would you look for that.

This is probably a weird topic and i don't know if anyone will answer for a while lol. But i will be greatfull for any input.

Edit: Had to change Coxidiosis to Coccidiosis ( gee these things are fun to spell ) [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow thank you that was very interesting reading. Thanks for responding so fast as well :)

Please keep it up this is very interesting to me :)

Im sure there are books out there that colledge students use to learn how get in to this subject. Does anyone happen to know what they would call this subject? Im sure it has a bigger name than " The Lab"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by