1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i want to leave heat light on for injured bird, but worry about the others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bj taylor, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    today my dog killed 10 of my 14 babies. one is injured pretty badly. she's in a nest box & i've got the heat lamp on her from their baby days (they're 8 wks old now). the other three who are ok - will they be ok with this light on in the coop or will it mess them up? it's directed so they can completely stay away from it, but i worry about there being a light on all night for them.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I wouldn't think that there would be too much of a problem if it is a red bulb. Not sure if a white/daylight bulb would make them a little cranky so they wouldn't sleep.

Is there a way to bring the injured one in the house for a bit? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the light bothering the others.

3. woozle

woozle New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    At 8 weeks there shouldn't be a problem, but I would certainly get the infra-red bulb, not the white. A bit more expensive, but sounds like your dog has already cost you a bunch. Do fence them very securely! Your dog will always kill chickens. They don't give it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by