I want to raise a few Sultans in cold climate. Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, May 28, 2011.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    I live in Northern Michigan where we have days of -20 degrees and alot of snow.
    My coop is well insulated and has electrical outlets.

Its nice and cozy.

I currently have 1 Pekin Duck, 2 Rouens, 1 Favorelle, 3 Plymouth Rocks and will be getting 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte hen , 1 Jersey Giant hen, 1 Brahma hen and a Brahma Roo, on June 6.

Thiey all, including the ducks, because the ducks are VERY bonded with the chickens, and vice versa, live in the coop.

Every duck has at least 1 chicken friend that " snuggles" up with them to sleep.

Any info, like would they mostly likely not survive winters, or if its possible, How do you care for them.

DD

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    On the breed chart it says Sultans prefers a hot climate. I would think as long as your coop is insulated, and you vasaline combs and keep foot feathers from colecting snow and ice they would be fine. However, I've never had Sultans, so maybe someone more experienced with them will chime in. Good luck!

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    A friend of mine here in Oklahoma has about 15 Sultans and they are doing fine! Its a personal choice how low does the temp in you coop get?

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by