1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want to raise chickens and a few roosters

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by computercountrygirl, May 8, 2009.

1. computercountrygirl

computercountrygirl New Egg

May 8, 2009
    Just for fun. My daughter loves them and my husband will build a pen out back for them. Only thing, I can't get the doggone health department on the phone to find out if its legal.
    Can someone tell me if it is legal to own them in the city limits of Hiram ga? Please, we want them now and have a friend willing to give us some and wanting to go get them this weekend but dont' want to get into trouble.

mary

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I am not sure if they are or are not legal in your town, but I would recommend calling city hall and asking them. It is your city that is making the city ordance laws, and they should be able to direct you, and let you know if it is illegal, if you can get a permit or an exemption, etc. For where I live that is how I found out whether or not I could have chickens, with my town it had to do with zoning, as in where I was located, and since I am right on the town line and in the country and not downtown, it is allowed.

I hope everything works out for you! If chickens are not allowed, also try looking for loop holes, such as ducks, exotics (peafowl, guail, etc), and see if you can get something like. I'm rooting for you!!! [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You need to check your zoning through your city or county zoning codes/ordinances, not the health department.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I found the Paulding County Animal Control Ordinances, but nothing about poultry, per se. There is a noise ordinance that says an animal can't make a sound that travels across property lines for more than 15 minutes, LOL. Guess that would have some bearing on a rooster.

http://www.paulding.gov/living/animalcontrol.asp

5. computercountrygirl

computercountrygirl New Egg

May 8, 2009
    ok, thanks you guys. you guys have been a terrific help. will call them monday morn. :0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by