I want to raise chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by elfqueenof5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. elfqueenof5

elfqueenof5 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    I just moved into a house with a big wonderful chicken coop in the backyard! I have always wanted chickens - esp a rooster! I have NO idea what to do or where to start!!! I was referred here by a friend.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    My advice would be spend a good few days just reading all the new posts. Its a good way to take a crash course on different breeds and the sort of problems people encounter.

I would also do a search on roosters and think long and hard about breeds before purchasing one. Not all are created equal, some can make your run a place to avoid, so you need to know what you are after not just buy the first one you like.

Also do a search for predators and make sure you know how to keep them out.

Good luck! If you do your research first you should have an enjoyable chicken experience!

4. elfqueenof5

elfqueenof5 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    I just changed my profile pic to show my chicken coop! It's pretty big!

5. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    HI[​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Don't forget to check out the the BYC Learning Center for a lot of chicken 101 articles. The BYC Breeds section has member reviews of a lot of different breeds, the Henderson chicken breed chart also compares a lot of common breeds http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j

7. MissB629

MissB629 Out Of The Brooder

Your friend couldn't have sent you to a better place. Tons of great information here. If I were you I would spend the winter reading and learning, and then start fresh in the spring.

8. elfqueenof5

elfqueenof5 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Turns out the same friend has hens she needs to regime cuz she's moving. She's giving me an Austrolope, Phoenix & Phoenix/Silky mix!!! I'm giddy! I'd better get reading!

9. elfqueenof5

elfqueenof5 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Oops rehome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by