I want to raise meat birds. So how do I start?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chickengirl1304, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I have a flock of laying hens and want to start a small flock of meat birds. I would like to have a rooster and maybe 4 hens. And hatch eggs to raise and butcher. What kind of birds should I get? Thanks!

2. MonsterClucker

MonsterClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2012
    Anderson, California
    Its really on how fancy you want your chickens. They have dual purpose (meat and eggs) breeds of all shapes and colors.

I would recommend a common easy to raise bird. But all chickens are pretty easy to raise. Unless they are escape artists. Lol

I like Brahmas all around. They get big. Crazy attravtive birds. And they lay pretty good depending onwhich variety of brahmas.

I'm also now raising Euskal Oiloa Basque chickens, from my father's birth country. They are an exceptionally rare, hardy and full of personality.

I've only owned chickens for 5 months now, and I see that's its almost like wine in a way. There's always something for you that fits your taste and budget! ;)

Generic answer- Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Rhode island reds

Have fun!

3. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    I would recomand brahmas too,they are large birds,and lay a preety big number of eggs,plus they are beautifull.Some broilers wuld be the best meat bird but they are almost imposibile to breed at home,cuz of short lifespan and low fertility caused by too much fat.So if you want to buy chicks each year raise broilers,if you want to breed you own birds take brahmas or cochins.

4. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Hi,
    Get a magazine from Murry McMurray hatchery and they have all kinds of birds listed, meat, eggs, etc.
    Kat

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You start by building all your pens, all your shelters, all your fencing, and all your feeders and waters.

After that, you can purchase birds.

2 people like this.
  6. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    I have a place for them already :)

What about blue laced red Cornish bantams? I found some breeding pairs for sale I think I'll get 2 pairs.

7. MonsterClucker

Jun 19, 2012
    Anderson, California
    Go for it! I wish I would have started out with a more uncommon breed on my first chicks!

8. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    You only live an hour from me monster clucker! :) what type of meat birds do you have?

9. MonsterClucker

Jun 19, 2012
    Anderson, California
    I just raise jumbo Cornish x. Specifically for meat production.

I have a few young chicks that are a cross between a hertiage Rhode Island Red hen and a Silver Grey Dorking x Americuana rooster I'm working on. But none available yet

The RIR hen is one of the best laying breeds available. And the SG Dorking is known for its very fine WHITE MEAT, mixed with americuana for very pretty eggs.

So you have a very nice dual purpose (DP) hybrid with fine white meat and laying a very pretty blue, green, or moss colored egg!

But I do have a few 3 month old Barred Rock Pullets (girls) available. Those are also dual purpose.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't know if I would raise a bantam as a meat bird, unless you are looking for a small bird to eat.
    But I guess you did say you wanted a "small flock" [​IMG] I crack myself up!

On a serious note, I have read that the True Cornish is hard to breed, as in they have problems with fertility. I think due to the body shape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by