I want to raise these breeds. Tell me about them

bigoledude

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
SE, Louisiana
I would really like to know the good, bad or indifferent details concerning the chickens I am about to start raising. I am about to begin building my incubator and, can/will hatch my eggs. My choices have changed many times in the few weeks since I began to read about what chickens I was gonna start with. For example, at first I wanted only chickens that were "broody". Now, because I will be able to hatch them and, I don't really want them to stop laying...

I know that there are some issues with certain breeds. I read where some chickens are notorious for having hard-to-hatch eggs.

Of course we hear of the mean breeds. Some seem prone to illnesses.

I have a small place and can only concentrate on 2 breeds to keep penned up and one to roam free. I don't see any evidence of predators now, but I also don't have anything to draw them either. The one breed of free-ranging birds are gonna have to be wary in this wild place!

Here's my short list.

Java's--I want to help restore an "old" breed and, they seem to be worth the effort.

Silver Penciled Rocks---Beautiful birds

Speckled Sussex-- just seem like a really good choice

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte--the photos of these chickens blew me away

Jersey Giant Blue, Splash and, I guess Black is part of the equation whether you like it or not

You may get as long-winded as you like. It has been over 40 years since we lived on a farm and, the women raised the chickens in Cajun-Country back then. I had no interest in other farm-related WORK! There was plenty to keep me busy already. So, having no practical experience, I need y'alls help!

Thanks in advance. Ray

Well Ray, I imagine the Java's would be your best bet for free ranging in the wilds of LA.

and if I had to pick just one breed to put into the coop, I'd pick Speckled Sussex. They lay well, have great temperaments and they are beautiful.

I rehomed my only Speckled Sussex early last year, (hatched from an egg from bargain) but I did get to see her not long ago and after her last molt she ended up mostly white with beautiful brown, black and read speckles... just gorgeous.

pop.gif
Especially about Java and BLRW.

Well i dont have any of these breeds but i can tell you if you want a very hardy chicken go for a Buff orpington. They are very calm and enjoy being handeled. Barred rocks are also very well rounded birds they have a good temperment and like people. Red sex links are extreamly good layers but they do become egg bound more often. (i have only had one become egg bound 1 time and she is almost 2). White rocks are a little more skiddish but if you hold them enough when they are chicks they will adapt to people better. They have very silky white feathers but if they are any thing like mine who SIT in mud puddles they wont stay white for long.

Speckled sussex are beautiful birds. I have one that is a rooster. They lay light brown eggs, about 3 per week. They are a broody breed. I never got to get a hen yet, but plan to. As for the rock... well, if it's the same as the white rock hen I have... they lay about 3 or 4 eggs per week, and the eggs are a beige'-ish color. My white rock lays about 6 per week. She is a really good layer. And her breed is also a broody breed. I also have a leghorn, and that breed is only supposed to lay about 3 white eggs per week. Mine lays 4. Leghorns aren't typically broody type birds, but another hen that is a broody breed would take care of it. I have posted a picture of my birds so you can see what they look like. (note: the leghorn is smaller than typical for her breed... and her eggs are small instead of large like they would normally be for her breed. But if it's chicks you're after, you won't care what size eggs you get from your hens. Also, a good way to check for breeds you may want, see pics, and read about them... go to mypetchicken.com, scroll to the bottom, then click on breed selection tool. Answer some questions, and they'll show you the birds the best suit your specifications.) Good luck!

Speckled Sussex Rooster - Precious Boy

55293_precious_11-27-2010_5.jpg

White Rock Hen - Gloria

55293_gloria_11-27-2010_3.jpg

Light Brown Leghorn Hen - Mable

55293_mable_11-27-2010_2.jpg

What kind of temperament does the Java and Wyandotte have? I didn't make myself clear. One breed will run loose out doors and I will have two tractor set-ups. And, each will hold a different breed of chickens. I may even consider 3 tractors with Jersey Giants, Speckled Sussex and the Wyandottes.

If I choose the Java for my free range chickens, will they be savvy enough to avoid predators well?

I don't have any experience with the Java's but the Wyandottes are generally mild mannered and relatively people friendly, however, I have been told that in a mixed flock they may tend to bully the other breeds. The Jersey Giants (which I have some coming this spring) are usually pretty good tempered as well. I can say the same about the Rocks. I have not heard of many issues with any of these 3 breeds in my limited experience. As far as which one to free range, if it was me I would probably free range the Jersey Giants for the simple fact that they are almost twice the size of the others and their size may deter some smaller predators (IE: weasels), but that is no guarantee. Good luck, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will give you some more help!

Back
Top Bottom