I want to rescue some cage hens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken farmer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Hey guys I have been wanting to save some cage hens for a long time and I'm wondering how? I live out in the country and have chickens,ducks,rabbits,dogs,cats,parakeets,turtles,and fish and the chickens have a 10X10 coop with a 20X20 pen and they get to free range every now and again. And right beside there pen were building a 20X20 pen and it has a 4X4 coop attached and were gonna use that as a grow out pen for new birds I'm gonna use for them if I get a few. There pen is right beside the yard halfway in the woods and there's a few bushes,small trees,and I'll put a couple stumps and a sheltered dustbathing spot in there and make a real enjoyable pen for the poor caged girls. I live in southern Ohio and I'm wondering how would I do this,would I call a egg farm and ask to buy a few of there hens or what? I'm hoping someone that's rescued some will see this. Thanks a bunch!!

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    check craig's list or your local papers.Most companies don't give or sell their birds to individuals ,spent birds usually go to the processed food companies or pet food companies.

3. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Will they just put an ad out that has there hens for sale in bulk or something?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are looking to do a good thing. These birds are also referred to as battery hens. Find an egg production farmer and ask for some. Some will give them up free or quite cheap. These farms cull their stock when laying gets below economic levels. You will end up with chicks about 3 years old or so. The prime laying era for many chickens is over about that time. These birds will still lay eggs for you, but for the business farmer, its all about the bottom line. You would be forced to do the same if your 10,000 hens cost you more in feed then the eggs you sold. I cant direct you to a place because I don't live near you. WISHING YOU WELL

5. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thanks a lot and I watched all about the poor hens and the process and I know they slack off and they gotta make money and that's all they care about. And I just want to let them live a great life that they never knew such as simply fresh air,sun on there backs,and the breeze on there face. I really want to and when I find a place I'll let you guys know and if I get them I'll keep you guys updated!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by