I want to see some pictures of some chick setups

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarredBuff, Jan 2, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I want to see some pictures of some chick setups because this spring will be my first chick expierience and I would like to get the idea of what its supposed to look like.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

3. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    heres one of mine [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    What are the dimensions on your brooder? Looks like a great set up.

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Mine is around 2' x 3.5' x 2' . It's made out of old windows with the glass removed and screened in. I'll be replacing the screen with hardware cloth before I use it again, my new cat is pretty determined. The light is on a dimmer so that I don't have to worry about raising and lowering it for heat control, though I am probably going to have to rewire it, it is being used by a felly BYCer and the light fizzled on her (sorry!). The floor is covered in vinyl, one side and the lid are hinged for easy access. My setup before was just a rubbermade tub with hardware cloth at the top. But, I was nervous about the sharp hardware cloth causing injury to a chick when we took them out or put them back in.

This size works well for a few chicks or for a dozen or so very young chicks. It was perfect for my 6 silkies until they were ready to go outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WingIt: that's a pretty clever set up! I especially like the shelf underneath. Hmm, I bet I could reconfigure mine to make it bigger and add some legs on it to raise it up for some shelf space underneath.....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    the one in the photos is about 24 x46 and 26 deep made of 3/4 plywood. The top is hinged and has an old window crank to raise it . I did add a small door to side after pics were taken. the light is mounted on 1 3/8 closet pole inside 1 1/2 pvc pipe and can be moved left, right, up and down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by