i want to see your grow pens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkielover5, Nov 9, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    im thinking about building a mini coop as a grow out pen for my silkies,showgirls,cochins,and rosecomb chicks until their either sold or old enough to go in with the rest of the flock. when they go in the grow coop they wont need the heat light any more so im just looking for ideas, there will be around 20 to 30 chicks in here from the ages of 1.5 months to about 5 months im thinking. and if you have grow out pens post pics please!!!
    (i didnt draw this i found it on google images)
    [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    We just built this last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

4. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    I have been trying to figure out what to do with my youngsters that are to big for the brooder but yet to small to be turned out with the older birds as well. This past weekend I changed up the inside of my coop to accommodate this problem. I didn't want to loose square feet so this is what I came up with....
    [​IMG]

This shelf was originally about 14" wide by 8'. The perch was there already and I’m going to make poop trays one day to go under it. I widened the shelf to about 3' wide, screened in the bottom and made a door for it. I plan on building a run inside of the run so that these birds will be able to go in and out like the older birds do. If I would have done this from scratch, when I originally built it, I would have made the top where it could be lifted up just to make it easier to get in/under and clean. Other than that it has been working out great for me. I can put more birds under the same roof I already had and not worry about any one of them getting hurt. All my birds, water and feed are all in one spot!

Chris

5. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Haha that is identical to my grow out pen! I just remodeled. It has made it easier to integrate them into the flock too since they live side by side. The only prob I have now is that I put the door only on one end and now I cant reach them when its time to move them into the bigger coop. I have to put food outside and hope they march out and quickly close the door lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by