I want to see your Murray McMurray hatchery stock Giant Cochins!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LMEggs, Nov 17, 2009.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    I know a guy that is selling murray McMurray hacthery stock giant cochin partridges and they are so hard to find around here... I didn't much want hatchery stock but if they are decent enough to work with even... And hes a bit far out and no pictures to see so its go or no go. Soo I wanna see the quality of Giant Cochins from MM!

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so...

2. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Here are the Giant Partridge Cochins I got from Murray McMurray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am confused by the term "Giant Cochin", does that mean large fowl (as opposed to bantams)?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ya I believe it is Large Fowl.. I think it is one of those Hatchery term to make them sound bigger or better than the standard Large Fowl..
    To me there not that a "Giant" as far as Cochins go.. [​IMG]

Chris

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Mahroni has some that his wife says are bigger than the dog. [​IMG] Maybe you can get some eggs from him?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Giant and standard are the same thing. IMO Partridge cohcins still need alot of work. The ones I had, and sold, had gorgeous coloring, but the leg feathering left much to be desired. I still have one partridge roo (from a breeder) and he is HUGE. But again- the inside of his legs are naked. I had to get 3 BBS girls from Meyer (MPC) because I had way too many roos. One of them ended up with crazy color- almost black-laced-blue.

[​IMG]

7. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I'm going to ask ABA/APA judge Matt Lhamon who he thinks has the best LF Part Cochins. He used to breed them, and may have some now. I'll get back to you when I hear.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I saw some GIANT cochins at our county fair this year. They were far bigger than any of the other standard variety chickens. [​IMG] GORGEOUS! I don't know where they came from, but most people around these parts just have hatchery birds...

9. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Show quality Cochins are just HUMONGEOUS. I can see how they'd be thought of as giant.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I ordered blue standards from MM this spring. out of 10 I have two nice ones the rest are ok but lack leg feathering. I bought some roos with massive feathering so hopefully this willl improve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by