I Want to sell eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Aug 27, 2010.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    And I have buyers but that asked me to write a date for when they go bad how long do they last for?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    3-4 weeks when not put in the fridge. That is assuming they are not at 90+ degrees during the day. Extreme temps can cut the dates by a week. Not to mention the gemination disk on the yolk will begin to grow on fertile eggs.

In the fridge they are good for 8-10 weeks.

Matt

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Thanks

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    The eggs are good for 7 days at room temperature...30 days when put in the fridge.

5. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:I'm kinda new and everything too but I think their good a little longer than this

6. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    That's the rule of thumb I was taught, and have implemented. I always know my product is fresh this way, and leave no room for error. I'm sure they would be fine at the 8-10 day mark if left at room temp or well into the 2nd month in the fridge...but I won't risk it.

7. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Yea I understand. I don't leave my in the fridge that long either. I'm like you I don't like to take chances. But what I meant If it came down to it they would be good a lil longer if needed.

8. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
  9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Muggsmagee posted a fantastic link. You can leave unwashed eggs in the refrigerator for as long as 6 months. It's a great article to read!

I would really recommend that instead of an expiration date, you provide the date the egg was laid. It's really neat for customers to know that their egg was laid, say yesterday, and it gives them the chance to get educated about how long fresh eggs really last. Maybe you could provide a little piece of paper with information printed on it. Otherwise, they're never going to believe you that these eggs can sit in the fridge for 6 months.

Granted, after 6 months, they're not going to be "fresh," but they're not going to be "bad," either.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I always put the lay date on the egg carton. After this latest scare with salmonella, I wouldn't dare advise my customers to keep eggs for a long period of time. I never refrigerate the eggs that I intend to eat, but customer's eggs go in the refrigerator immediately !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by