I want to start a poultry Petting Zoo!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by awesomefowl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I think this would be a neat idea. I would have odd birds such as naked necks, silkies, cochins and such, but I was thinking, will this really work? I think it would be really fun, but .... maybe it wouldn't work.
    Anybody have ideas?

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    I've been thinking about this for about a year now, but the people I've tried it out on don't seem to enthused about chickens. [​IMG]

Maybe I am missing something?
    I'm [​IMG] this thread

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I've always thought it would be a fun thing to do. I have all these wonderful pets, many of which enjoy being petted or held but an acquaintence of mine has many animals to include sheep and goats all of which are friendly also. She went as far as contacting a lawyer to see what was involved in starting this sort of "business" (whether you charge or not) and he proceeded to tell her the negative aspects of it that she didn't consider. The insurance you must have in case someone is injured on your property was sooooo expensive she elected not to do it. I don't mean to be a bummer but you have to look at every angle.

Good luck if you decide to do this. I have alot of people that call me and want to come and see all of mine and I let them but I do worry if something happens that is out of my control.

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Ohhh, I didn't mean on my property! I just meant bringing some rare neat looking birds which I could get for the purpose to local fairs for people to touch, admire, see and ogle at. I don't have any goats or anything else now. And i could sell eggs in a cooler there. But I was thinking, we live in a very farm-y community, maybe it would n't be so exciting then. I couldn't have it here, as I am a minor and don't own any property! [​IMG]

So what the weirdest looking chicken that i could hypothetically bring to a fair for a "Poultry Petting Zoo"?

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You should also consider that if people are touching/handling your birds, you have no way to know if they have birds at home that are carriers of disease, and what they could be exposing your birds to....

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have taken birds to my DDs school and I take a bottle of Germ X hand sanitizer with me and have the kids all wash their hands and forearms really well. My birds loved it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by