1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Want to Start Beekeeping

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by brooster, Dec 24, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Ok, i want to get a colony of bes started in the spring. I read the thread Keeping Bees with chickens, but how about pigs? I live on 1 acre, should i find a place with more land? Anywhere i put it will have decent traffic, are people going to be getting stung a lot? Ok, so i am going to get
    1 Bottom Board
    2 Deep brood suppers
    2 Medium shallow suppers
    Wooden frames with plastic foundation
    Inner Cover
    Telecoping Cover
    Entrance reducer
    Plastic queen excluder
    Bee Excape
    Be Brush
    Hive tool
    Smoker
    Feeder
    Helmet w/veil
    3lb package of italian bees Would it be logical to get a 2lb package instead?

Ok, is that everything i will need? Do i have anything i dont need? I would like to keep them on my property, but do you think it would be better to put them somewhere else?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    BYC member Reinbeau is a beek. Try PMing her.

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Thanks Buff! I PMed her. [​IMG]

4. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bee brush??? What do you do, brush their hair??

5. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    you use it to sweep them off the frames.

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Do you mean medium or shallow supers, they are different.

9 5/8 inches is a deep super
    6 5/8 inches is a medium super (we use all mediums, no deeps, no shallows, many people use mediums for honey supers over deeps)
    5 5/8 inches is a shallow super

When a deep is full of honey, it's about 90 pounds [​IMG]

Full Mediums are about 60 pounds, easier to handle

Full Shallows are about 45 pounds, the lightest, but more frames to extract, which is why we stick to mediums.

Why plastic? I think beginners, especially, are better on wired wax foundation, the bees accept it more readily and, after all, it's what they choose to create in their own hives (minus the wires, of course!)

Inner Cover
    Telecoping Cover
    Entrance reducer
    Plastic queen excluder

Many people think queen excluders are honey excluders, if you've got a mentor advising you, then go ahead, but I'd avoid it myself.

Bee Excape

Depending on how many hives you're going to run you will eventually want to go to a fume board and Fisher Bee Quick (there are other smellier things to use, but they're absolutely awful and are nasty chemicals if you read the bottles). The fume board drives the bees down out of the super you want to harvest. Much quicker than using a bee escape.

Be Brush
    Hive tool
    Smoker
    Feeder
    Helmet w/veil
    3lb package of italian bees Would it be logical to get a 2lb package instead?

Stick with the three pounder, it's standard.

Ok, is that everything i will need? Do i have anything i dont need? I would like to keep them on my property, but do you think it would be better to put them somewhere else?

Get a good smoker, don't cheap out on it, you'll regret it. I have an Excel file that has a listing of what a beginner needs, the prices need updating, but if you'd like it, just let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. Good luck and if you have any other questions just let me know!​

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio

Why plastic? I think beginners, especially, are better on wired wax foundation, the bees accept it more readily and, after all, it's what they choose to create in their own hives (minus the wires, of course!)

They are wooden frames with wax coated plastic foundation.

2 deep suppers for the brood, and 2 medium suppers for the honey. If i dont get a queen excluder, will i have larva in my honey?​

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

It's on its way!

ETA I'd still go with regular wax foundation, but that's my preference. I've never had a blowout in the extractor while using it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  9. pokachix

pokachix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Buckley WA
    Brooster, You will love bees! You mentioned pigs? They are so curious & love to eat, you will have to put hotwire around the hives. Just make sure the flight path to the hives is clear or plant/place something so that the bees have to go up over peoples heads as they come & go. Ann is so right, a GOOD smoker is a must. I have a hand me down that works ok but really need a larger one, the price isn't that different between great & poor quality...you don't want to be 1/2 through an inspection & have the smoker go out..[​IMG] Good luck, have you gotten onto the beemaster forum? Sooooo much info there & great people as well! Hi Ann! J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by