I want to thank Frank and Wildsky_Warning DUW, Very pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thndrdancr, Jul 3, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I wanted to thank you both for providing eggs that hatched for my little Dash. ?Can you believe.... They all hatched the day of my Mom's funeral so are very special to me.

I cant keep roo's, but am in love with them. Found another member that will take my lil chickee children and treat them with love until such time as I move to an acreage, then the agreement is I can have some of their babies/hatching eggs, whatever. [​IMG]

Dash has been quite the mother, and ferocious in her protectiveness. She was also a wonderful broody and sat for a full two weeks before I ever got her any fertile eggs. But..she turned into a deadly grump.....

some pics of your grandchickees and they are gorgeous...and two months old now..

Not sure what Wildskys child is yet, she is one of those up in the air chickens...lol, if she is a she or a he...

One D'Uccle and three Serama's hatched, but I lost the tiniest Serama one when she succumbed to some infection from that stupid moldy hay I had. [​IMG]

The chronicles.....
    Dash, a happy mother...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where Wild's D'Uccle likes to hang out, she still does but Dash goes OOOMPPH whenever any of them still try to sit on "mom"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Franks biggest Serama got big enuff he could jump too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grumpy Dash...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little Sunshine, named that because when trying to nurse them thru the worst of the sickness, I would sing "you are my sunshine to this one"

[​IMG]

I had to throw this one in, since Dash is small and they are getting larger...And Dash taught Lily NOT to mess with her babies....well...I guess we will jump on THIS chicken... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now....little black Serama roo, Mav or Whisky as sis calls him...is in love with Lily..chases her all over the place, its like Pepe Le Pue...poor Lily is quite beleaguered. Here she is on the run from him, and Dash is in the way...

"Let me at her, Mom, I gotta have that big gorgeous thing...."

[​IMG]

"Aha, I caught you, ma petite...."...(he just doesnt quite know what to do with her now that he has caught her...lol, doesnt help she is about 8 times bigger than he is)

[​IMG]

They are so pretty, here they are now...young adults...two months old. They ALL have SUCH personality! I cry at the thought of them leaving, especially that silly little black terror. I have to keep him separate from Lily, he is just gaga over her and chases her, wing dances, circles, crows, you name it, tries to give her bread (which she doesnt like). Poor lil guy doesnt know why she doesnt think he is purteeeee. So I have had to keep him in the house, and we have bonded, he doesnt mind following me around and being my buddy. He wants to watch everything I am doing and chortles, sings, talks at me the whole time. Here they were next to a roll of toilet paper, to show size..the silly guy stuck his head clear down in there, thought there might be something down there he was missing! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I really enjoyed your pictures .. thanks.

I would also be crying if I had to give them all up - I'm sorry about that. Glad you have a good place for them to go live though.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    What gorgeous birds!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Loved the pics, stories and little comments. Thanks so much for sharing, and best of luck in finding the perfect home!! [​IMG]

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    have you thought about keeping mav as an indoor house chicken? serama's are so small that many people do keep one or two as indoor birds. their crow is not nearly as loud as a standard size chicken so you might be able to get away with having him inside without anyone knowing he is there!
    i understand how hard it is to part with the "special" ones!
    good luck and thanks for posting all of those pics - i totally enjoyed them. [​IMG]

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yup, I thought about that, but our ordinances, even tho they allow "houseHENS", no roos. Believe me, I checked and checked again.
    The ordinance says "keep or harbor" which means INSIDE or outside. [​IMG] Why I dont know, as we have a guy a block away that is raising great danes, and boy when they bark, you can HEAR them a mile away. I am one of those people that love to hear roosters crow, and fail to understand why its a problem if you dont let them out til 8 or 9 in the mornin.

I wouldnt worry quite so much, but I know the guy across the street had some 3 years ago, had to get rid of them, community garden had them two years ago, had to get rid of them...apparently there is an old biddy one block over that "hates" chickens, she says they are "stinky"...and since she cant make a person give up their hens, she CAN report the roos and does...funny normally older folks love them. I dont know her, but she is close enuff if she is still alive to be a problem. I know if the city comes to get them, then you dont really get second chances and at least they will have a wonderful home. And I have a window, any hen raising chicks you have 90 days to find a new home.

Actually he is a quiet lil roo til he gets all happy when he sees me..then he crows his lil heart out.
    Yesterday I was napping on the couch and he hopped on my leg, made his way up to my neck, cuddled down in between my shoulder and neck, preened my hair a bit, chortled and sang to me, then went to sleep. Thats when I really lost it and started crying.

Yea he is a special little guy. I have found a wonderful home for him tho, where he will be well loved, and a chicken lover as well. So I cant complain, at least I can get updates and visitation rights. [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awwww Jill, they're so CUTE - I can't believe how big they've grown!

I really hope that little Scout is a girlie.....

And gosh those serama's are SO CUTE - so TINY!!!!

8. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for postin the pics of the serama, they are nice little birds arnt they...???

enjoy them and if you need more let me know...

frank/ae50mag

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    They are wonderful, thanks to both of you.

Dash is perfect for brooding them, too, she is so tiny and steps so carefully over her eggs. I am not sure I would even try a Serama egg in the incubator, I have heard too many things bout them being hard to hatch. The way it was I got 50% hatch rate from Frank under her and they came halfway across the country.

And Frank, I may take you up on that later, I definitely want more when I get a place in the country, and also, the person thats taking them may want some hens, I bet he will be so taken with them, he will want more.
    We need some more of these cute lil things in the midwest!

And Wild...I would keep Scout, but she is totally lost without her two bro's. I have separated her on and off becuz they fight, so she might be a boy, who knows. But she would be miserable without them. Now Mav, I could have kept, he is not so attached, and is in love with Lily (I am sure Lily would get a little itty bitty chicken suitcase and start packing if I kept him) but Scout cries and cries when I have her separated. She wanders pathetically thru the house, crying for them and then just sits on the pet carrier where they sleep, looking miserable.
    Mav follows me around and terrorizes the little chickies, eats with me, chortles, and just generally is ok, once he gets over his initial aggravation at him separating from his lite'o'love.

You have to have one these guys someday...when your little D'Uccles go broody. Or when Dash goes broody again! [​IMG] The eggs are really so delicate I dont think a big hen could set them. I know mine couldnt.

10. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are great pictures! I love your chickens. [​IMG]

And did you say serama?? I've been trying to convince the hubby that we need a pair as housepets. They are too cute and friendly. Have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by