1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wanted some Chickens, So, I got some chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Loona, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Loona

Loona New Egg

Oct 2, 2015
    Hi,
    My name's Marsha but I'll go by Loona here, since Loona, my Austraporp is the reason I joined.

I've been reading this website for quite a while, since we got our flock of chicks in May of 2014.

I love it! Had chickens growing up, and have a 10 year old daughter who loves birds. Was always attracted to all the bird species at petting zoos. One place we'd frequent, I'd have to take a seat on the log because I knew I was it was going to be a while as my little one observed and fed them little pellets. It all started at the age of two. So the day I showed up with 8 chicks in a box was better than any Christmas for her! She loves them like I knew she would and we def love them all. We acquired a rooster early summer.
    The intro was quite hairy at first, but it's all good. Can't stand how the girls 'get laid' all the time though!! Not sure if they like it or find it bothersome, but they put up with him!

We did have a loss early on. One peep I bought was a Leghorn X (roaster). We were warned not to buy her, but I asked, does she lay eggs? Yes. Well ok then. So we tried. She outgrew the others by leaps and bounds and couldn't even walk by 8 weeks. Then we learned in order to keep her you must refrain from over-feeding. So we did. We exercised her all over the yard and fed her less and she was fit as a fiddle. Once the coop/pen was ready for them though it was hard to control her consumption. We managed by giving her a small bowl from the others. By the time she was done, the others were done with the bigger bowl, or not enough left to matter much. She was the first to lay an egg, and every other one was a double yolk. She was also the most docile and very sweet.

But after a couple months while fall and winter was passing she got 'poopy butt' quite a few times. Then one day found her under the coop very sick looking. Took her to the vet and they didn't do anything. Just said to give her a warm bath and yogurt/apple cider vinegar - uh ... no.... Daisy was SICK. Well, she died. My little one so distraught all the effort she put into Daisy.

Well, the flock went on. We manage pretty well. But once again, I'm attracted back to your website because our Luna, one of the two Australorp's is sick. We took her to the same vet. I told them I want treatment. Warm baths didn't help my other one. So she was put on Penicilin injections and prednisolone drops. It's not really working so well. She seems to get better, but relapse. I'm on to a new vet now, an avian vet. Needless to say, it's like one extreme to the other as far as these vets go.

I've learned quite a few things here, so I thought I'd join because I do have some questions. Thank you for this site. Look forward to some conversations. Thanks!

Marsha (Loona)

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Loona

Loona New Egg

Oct 2, 2015
    Thank you!

Right now, Luna is at the Vet. They are tube feeding her, worming, and changed the Rx to Tylan?? She's to go home on Doxycycline. They said she's doing ok. Heartily eating mealworms, but that's about it. There's no specific diagnosis, sadly. But I bet when she comes home, I'll be posting :) getting the jitters!

I want to learn to tube feed myself, I do have a bit of confidence, but I do not want to make the mistake of inserting it in error. I asked the vet if he'd show me, he basically laughed that one off. [​IMG] I just ordered some 18FR Urological Cath's. I hope they're the right ones.

Thanks again!

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread on BYC in fullest detail. Real chicken folks you respond to you. I think the average vet doesn't know about chickens at all.- Maybe dosages are way off also. Sorry you lost your hen, hope this one can be saved [​IMG]

6. Loona

Loona New Egg

Oct 2, 2015
    Thank you. Glad I finally joined too. Been reading lots of stuff here since we got our chickens and always learn something new.

7. Loona

Loona New Egg

Oct 2, 2015
    Yes, I will go over there. thank you. You are right about the vets. As Luna was not really recovering w/penecillin use, and developed this constant open mouth breathing the vet said to bring her in to re-evaluate, but I got the feeling maybe I should look around for another. So I found this avian vet farther out, but I called first just to see if they 'really' knew chickens, and apparently yes, they do. I was immediately intrigued. I explained my other vet appt and was put through to a technician. When I told him they said Luna had a high fever of 106.7 they said that was actually normal. And he told me to immediately stop prednisone because it doesn't work so well in birds, for some reason it's more opportunistic for other complications of bacteria and fungi esp if they're sick.
    From what I see they're doing all the right things. I know my chicken is not a parrot, and gulped at the price tag, but I just gave in because I really feel like they were doing all the right things. The vet said his parents acquired a flock last year too. So that was good to know. He says they're all healthy so far, and his mother makes him take poop to work to see if they need worming. :) Lucky chicks!
    Thank you - I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

8. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here!

And I wish you all the best with Luna! [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you need help with tube feeding your girl, you could ask one of our long-time members, casportpony, for help. She has a lot of experience with that subject and is good about helping others with it. Try sending her a PM (private message) if you want to chat with her.

Good luck!

10. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    X 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by