I wants cute chicks!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by spock78, Jun 11, 2007.

1. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    LOL!! Can you tell I'm a man? LOL!!

What chickens are good setters?

I have 9 Production Red hens & 1 rooster, plus, 14 Fast Cornish, 1 red fighting roo(rescued).

None of my productions will get broody long enough to hatch eggs.

I want a breed that will set!! I/we(Mrs Spock) want to watch the process & have cute chicks. Sorry if this post seems FOWL!! We just would like to have some chicks that we don't have to pay for. We don't care if they are X's. We just want babies, the natural way.

Can anyone help us?

2. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    Hands down Silkies..... Not only are the fluf balls adorable as can be but they will set just about anything...

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I believe that Buff Orpingtons are a very broody breed...that is if you want a breed that actually looks like a chicken...lol.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  4. haleyluna

haleyluna Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    oklahoma city
    i agree that silkies will sit on anything. we had to put our quail and pheasant eggs under them at times, and they didn't mind at all.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Cochins are also very fluffy and cute and are equally as broody as a Silkie. OR, ( shamless plug here) you can try some of my Sizzles as shown in this avatar. Forget getting lots of eggs they raise a batch lay 3-4 weeks and want to sit again. I am running out of room for everyone to have private quarters. They now have to just get along or I take the babies and brood them and put the mamas back in the flock. There are other breeds the go broody but Silkies or anything crossed with it are excellent mothers and wonderful to watch raise their broods. Good Luck with your search.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My buffs go broody constantly!

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, My Buff Orps are constantly broody. [​IMG]
    Real good moms too.
    Miriam

8. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    All of my cochins and silkies go broody all the time!! My best mamma is my cochin Pebbles, Fluff comes in pretty close!

Shannon

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My bantam partridge cochin is super broody AGAIN... her babies are only 6 weeks old.... [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Our buff orps and araucana (the pure bred ones, not hatchery ones) are excellent broodies. My araucana pullet just hatched turkey eggs for me - now that's dedication...28 looooong days.

[​IMG]

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by