I was a bad chicken mommy today/Baby chick injury.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PeuAPeu, Apr 5, 2012.

1. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I had gone outside to try and get some updated pictures of my oldest looking chicks. I opened the door to my brooder which is 3 ft off the ground. It was not problem until the little things started thinking my handle on the camera was a worm. One little chick fell out (one of my barred rocks). That was fine, I knelt down and the little baby came towards me, but before I could scoop him or her up, my tiniest little dog grabbed him or her in her mouth. She did not try to run. I opened her mouth and removed the little baby. As far as I can tell the only injury is to the eye. I don't know if there is anything internal. I don't think so. So right now Doody (as we have been calling him or her) is inside sitting next to me on crumpled up sheet I dedicate to the animals. He/She has been chirping a little but seems sleepy. S/He openes the other eye. S/He has pooped once since I brought him/her inside. Maybe s/he is in shock and thats why s/he is acting sleepy. I initially tried putting him/her back in the brooder, but the others started pecking at his/her face. What do you think I should do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Is there any like visible injury? Keep it warm under a heat lamp with food and water. And sometimes after an animal is in shock it will have the runny poops, so don't be surprised. (My hen was chased by a bobcat and she had insane runny poops and a major molt the next day)

3. pdxpoppadaddy

pdxpoppadaddy New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I would have runny poops and molt too if I was chased by a bobcat! YIKES!

4. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    The only injury I noticed when I first recovered the chick was a little blood around the eyeball. I used warm water and a q-tip and cleaned around the eye. I did not see any puncture wounds on the body. How long should I keep this baby away from the others?

5. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    anyone have advice [​IMG]

6. mendocinosunris

mendocinosunris Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Hopland, CA
    You might want to get some opthalmic antibiotic cream & put on the eye. Feed stores usually carry it.
    I would give it at least a few days of isolation to keep the others from pecking. That could turn a minor injury into a big problem.
    I had a gosling with a similar eye injury. It took about 2 weeks to heal up. The gosling can see fine now.

7. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Defiantly keep it away from the others. Chickens are interested in red and will peck at the little bit of blood. If the brooder is big enough you can put a little cage in there so the others can peck through and the chick can still have company when it's contained.

8. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Update:

After a whole day of sleeping, Doody stayed inside last night. S/he fell asleep on a crumpled sheet. When it was time for bed, I put the baby and the sheet together in a pet carrierwith food and water. I awoke this morning to a loudly chirping baby. S/he was standing on top of the sheet. I took the baby out. I didn't think s/he had eaten so I brought out the food and the water. S/he pecked away at the food. I then took the baby outside and let it get inside with the others. S/he started pecking around on the ground and was drinking water. The others seem to be fine with Doody and I think I may try leaving her/him outside today. Right now it is a little cool morning so they are cuddled up together in the pen after eating. Thank you all for your advice, it was really apreciated.

9. mendocinosunris

mendocinosunris Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Hopland, CA
    Yay! I love happy endings. How's its eye doing?

10. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    [​IMG]Go Doody! Eating and drinking is a good sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by