I was able to get some better pics!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blondiega1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    The snow goosi came up into our front yard and I was able to snap off some good pics!
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Their gorgeous! Great pictures, too. [​IMG]

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Shouldn't this be in the goose section?

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

So how big or small are they compared to your Pekins.

5. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    There are two species in the photo. The smaller, shorter-billed bird is a Ross' goose and the larger is a snow goose, but the bill shape looks more like that of the greater sub-species than the lesser subspecies. These two showing up together in Georgia is a little fishy, they very well could be captive escapees. If you have binoculars, check to see if both birds have a hind toe on each foot. Captive wild geese need to be marked in one of several ways, one of which is removing the right hind toe. The other two means are pinioning or seamless banding but obviously these two don't have either of those.
    DT

6. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Dr. Todd :

There are two species in the photo. The smaller, shorter-billed bird is a Ross' goose and the larger is a snow goose, but the bill shape looks more like that of the greater sub-species than the lesser subspecies. These two showing up together in Georgia is a little fishy, they very well could be captive escapees. If you have binoculars, check to see if both birds have a hind toe on each foot. Captive wild geese need to be marked in one of several ways, one of which is removing the right hind toe. The other two means are pinioning or seamless banding but obviously these two don't have either of those.
    DT

Next time they come close I'll grab the binoculars and scope out their feet.

These two are about 1/2 the size of my pekins.​

7. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Quote:I posted the pics here because I orginally posted about these two birds trying to fiqure out what kind of "ducks" I had visiting our lake.

Little did I know at the time, they were GEESE!!
    So I posted the pictures here to update all the nice people who told me I had geese and not ducks!

The only debate seems to be if they are Ross geese or lesser snow geese.
    IDK enough about geese to be able to tell you, but I do know they are beautiful and I hope they stay through the winter!

8. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe they're a breeding pair and your little lake will have goslings! [​IMG]

9. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Quote:From what I've read, they mate in the summer in the Artic, so I'm not holding my breath on grand-goosies, but it sure is nice to have them around for awhile!

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I agree, looking at the beaks it does appear to be one Ross' goose and one snow goose. How odd that they're both there in Georgia! Maybe give a call to your local Audobon chapter and see if you can get any hints there? (If there have been other sightings, etc.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by