I was bad.......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chena16c, Sep 4, 2010.

1. chena16c

chena16c Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So....I'm a single gal who owns a house and a dog and bout my first chicks last summer, when I bought the house. I always intended on having a small flock as it's in an urban area and just me. I started with 8 chicks (thinking some might not survive) all did so I sold 4 of them when they were egg laying age. Had 4 left but lost one last winter due to a hawk accident (well not an accident to the hawk). Then in spring we tried to hatch eggs in the classroom only that didn't work out so well so I bought 3 chicks to continue the lesson on life cycles........now I'm back up to 6. THEN the local feed store started carrying chicks (the one close to me not far from me who always carries chicks) and they had blue-laced wyandottes, so I bought 2. Of course my sister and I discussed a chick swap when I would head up to Colorado, as her friend was getting in abunch of Americanas (this being the time in spring when no one had them). I'd give her 2 of mine and she'd give me 2 of her but she conned me into three. Now I'm up to 7 chicks.

Then the other day I went in to purchase some more chick/chicken feed and remembered that they had gotten in some cuckoo marans a few weeks back and just casually asked about them. He was real excited and told me they just had a couple left that were a few weeks old..................I had to bring them home

Crap, now I'm up to 9. *sigh*

Now I just need a white egger and I'd be set with rainbow eggs.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ... yup, you were bad... that chicken math can catch up with you before you know.

My wife originally told me I could have no more than 15.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yep...bad, bad, bad!!! LOL It's called "CHICKEN MATH"!

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    You are soooo bad and you are sooo hooked too.

5. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    Wow I love chicken math!! You flock ounds like it is sporting some beautiful birds.

My DH has agreed to me having 3 girls, I wonder how many I can get under the radar before he notices and does his chicken math [​IMG]

6. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    ....is that a bad thing? [​IMG]

7. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Yay for chicken math! [​IMG] My dad said "Cassandra. You are not getting more then 10 chickens. Understood?" "Okay dad..."
    Chicken Math :
    10 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 20 chooks! [​IMG]
    Ah how I love chicken math! [​IMG]

8. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

lol Look on the bright side...at least it isn't a destructive habit. As it is, the only thing to get destroyed will be any bit of ground they get to scratch too much!

9. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I went to the store for only two BR's and came home with 8 total... 1 EE 2 BR's 2 Buff orps and one naked neck [​IMG][​IMG]

10. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Chicken math!! That's funny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by