I was born in a frying pan--Fantastic Five!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lhayes1976, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    This April 2, on a whim I decided I wanted to get some eggs that would hatch on Easter (for my little grandbabies). I didn't have an incubator, so I Googled homemade incubators and ran across some posts about people using electric skillets. So I went to Craigslist and found some fertile eggs and Walmart for the skillet and had everything going by the end of the night.

Keeping the temps stable has been a chore, My method of turning is just propping up one side with books and moving to the other side several times a day. I've had a few temperatue spikes and I thought for sure these little guys were goners. My main problem is how much the outside temperature affects the inside temp of the skillet. I've candled (probably way too much), but my first little flashlight wasn't showing much. I could tell something was going on--and I could see the air sac getting larger. So today, I went to Home Depot and bought a powerful little flashlight and lo and behold--there is movement in those eggs. I'm so excited!I started with 12 eggs and now I have 11. Out of the 11--I think I only have one dud.

To tell you the truth, I really didn't expect to have this many--I know--don't count your chickens before they've hatched, but it looks like I may actually have some babies. Here's my concern--I have them in cartons and was planning on letting them hatch in the cartons, but I'm afraid after they hatch there will not be enough room. The eggs are pretty close to the lid. When I told my DH this--he laughed and said they'll be bonking their heads. Will it hurt if I take them out of the cartons and lay them on their sides during lockdown even though they've been in the cartons the whole time?

This just so darn fun--but I'm so worried, because I've read about so many making it to pip stage and not making it. I so hope my little chickies come into the world this Easter.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    this needs pictures.
    what my mind's eye is painting is really funny.
    they'll need chefs' hats. and little spatulas...
    [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

4. ModernGameGrl

ModernGameGrl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Chippewa County
    In my incubator I keep the eggs in cartons and once they pip I lay them on their sides (I know it's suppose to be lock down but I have to turn other eggs in the bator) but I haven't had any problems this way so I think you should be ok to lay them on their sides. Hope this goes well for you I've heard of people doing this and have tried it myself but didn't have any luck cause I had to much trouble keeping the temp in check.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have read about successful hatches in skillets. And yes, this thread needs pics.

6. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    This is wonderful! I look forward to seeing how it goes. Does the skillet have a clear lid for you to see? I think I would lay them down on their side. Out of the egg carton and into the pan!

7. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I will definitely post some pics. I teach school and we have an incubator there, but we were on spring breack when I decided I wanted to do this. I had originally planned to swtich the eggs to the incubator when I got back to school, but when I started actually seeing development, I decided to try the whole process in the skillet. If it works, I'm sure it's pure luck. My granddaughter was here last night and I candled a few and the look on her face was just priceless. Keeping my fingers crossed.[​IMG]

8. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Darn--I candled today and I am down to 5. They go on lockdown Wednesday. I had another temp spike and I guess that's happened to them. I'm so hoping to get a least two. I would hate if only one lonely chick hatches. I haven't made my brooder yet--I hate to put alot of work into it and have no babies to put in it.[​IMG]

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    get the brooder set up! there is always the feed store!
    go chickie eggs, go! [​IMG]

10. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Name one Pancake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by