I was given a free incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erlibrd, Oct 8, 2011.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    But I don't have a rooster [​IMG] my DH doesn't want one cause they are noisy [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sometimes my hens make more noise than my roosters do singing their egg songs. My Roos do start crowing at 4:30 AM for a couple of hrs. Maybe you can go to your local feed store and hook up with someone with some fertile eggs. or ask some friends or the person who gave you the incubator. You can go to the BYC Buy/Sell section and buy eggs. Just some suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:do you know how to use your incubator?
    if not you should try with cheap eggs
    perhaps local feed stores will have fertile eggs

but for you must be aware that hatching eggs can not be sexed and you can end up with many roos

in most cases is hard to find homes for roos even for free

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We take our excess Roos to our local auction. Sometimes we get a decent price and sometimes we let them go pretty cheap. What kind of incubator did you get? Another place you might find some fertile eggs are at swap meets. Maybe put a flier up in your local feed store and ask for some barnyard mixes to practice with. Many barnyard mixes are good layers.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Thanks everyone for all the good info, yes I could end up with lots of roosters... I know someone down the road has at least 1 rooster I can hear him half a mile away! before I got the free incubator I was thinking if I ever got a broody I'd go ask to buy some of her fertile eggs.
    I don't know what kind it is and it's in the pole building and I will wait until morning to check it out, havent even taken it out of the box, so no I don't know how it works either [​IMG]

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I wish people would "rent out" their roosters to small flock owners. I would soooo rent a roo

1 person likes this.
  7. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Quote:I would too!
    I also would rent a goat, DH doesn't want a goat either [​IMG]

8. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I wish people would "rent out" their roosters to small flock owners. I would soooo rent a roo

I would gladly rent out my roosters, just to get them out of my hair for a bit. They are all "in jail", right now, waiting on my hens to grow up.​

9. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Quote:I would gladly rent out my roosters, just to get them out of my hair for a bit. They are all "in jail", right now, waiting on my hens to grow up.

I wish you werent so far away!

10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:I would gladly rent out my roosters, just to get them out of my hair for a bit. They are all "in jail", right now, waiting on my hens to grow up.

Pity we are waaay to far away, try advertising for it and see if you get much interest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by