I was given some eggs by avid smokers....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sammssd, Jan 28, 2013.

Would you eat the eggs?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2013.
  1. Yes, they're still good!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Maybe, try cooking some!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, just play it safe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Heck to the NO! GROSS.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. sammssd

sammssd New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Illinois
    So, I don't have my own chickens yet, but was so excited when my neighbor wanted to give me some eggs for free from her backyard chickens!
    There's a problem though...the cartons AND eggs WREAK of ciggarette smoke. I'm really turned off and feel bad if I don't use them. Will it affect the inside of the eggs? Should I just crack some open and try making scrambled eggs or something? :/

Please help!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would use them in recipes, one or two eggs at a time to use them up slowly, so that I didn't have to taste a smoke taste.

I once ordered hatching eggs and they smelled like smoke. Hatched out some beautiful chicks though.

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I wouldn't worry to much, as a non smoker myself I wouldn't be too happy with the smell either but I imagine it is coming from the box stored in the house rather than the eggs themselves, they only picked up the smell after being placed in the box, I would throw the box away and get my own that they can put eggs in for you next time just don't let them keep the box for any length of time, lol!

4. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Try switching cartons and see if it's really the eggs or the cardboard carton.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm shocked people let their chickens smoke! Can cause problems in egg laying it states right on the package.

5 people like this.
  6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    [​IMG]

7. TennesseeChicken

TennesseeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Ethridge, TN

Yes, that was a good one! [​IMG]

8. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Maxcine99

Maxcine99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2013
    Clinton, MD
    LOL XD yeah its probably just the package, my in-laws smoke and even if we've only visited 10 mins we smell like a smoke stack so its probably...maybe ok? If you're really worried try one and see if it tastes like smoke

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd crack em and scramble them up without seasoning, see if the yolk and contents are smelly. I got some turkey eggs once that just reeked of smoke. I was so disappointed and had no hope for them at all. BUT I got 100% hatch rate from them! You never know until you try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by