1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i was given two chickens because one was too vocal for her neighborhood.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heyteach6, Jan 30, 2013.

1. heyteach6

heyteach6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    OMG she is a loud and persistent youngster. Is there a way to quell her constant squawking? She may become dinner before she starts laying, (7 months old). [​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She may actually be gearing up for laying right now. Chickens get very vocal (IE scream constantly) right before they start laying. I think they can feel the changes in their bodies, and it worries them, so they alarm call.

Or it could be that she's just obscenely loud. Honestly, if she doesn't quiet down after laying, then she has a genetic trait that most people don't want in their flock. People usually cull out traits that aren't favorable, it's all a part of animal husbandry.

3. heyteach6

heyteach6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks, that is exactly what happened. They both laid eggs today and now they're quiet!! The one that is especially vocal is also on the mean side. I may put her by herself before she becomes dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by