I was hoping someone could tell me what this is (picture included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tmatthews, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    I will give a summed up account of what this hen is doing. In November I noticed she was coughing. So I tried a couple of antibiotics. I tried Tylan 50 water soluable and another antibiotic that starts with a "D"....I can't think of the name right now but it says for respiratory ailments. I dewormed all my chickens with safeguard and have been giving them probiotics and on occasion layer boost in their water. Nothing has helped this chicken's "cough".

In the meantime, none of the other chickens are displaying any signs of coughing.

Ok, so I thought maybe it would be something she would get over especially since she has absolutely NO drainage anywhere and has no signs of illness. She eats, she drinks, she interacts with the others. So again, I thought I would give her a break from any meds and let her be.

Well, a couple of days ago I picked her up to pet her and I noticed her lower beak was not closing tight to the top beak. Upon further investigation I noticed she had what looked to me like a mass of yellow that was pushing her tongue to the side. When I open her beak it smells like yeast. So I've been treating this "mass" with women's yeast infection cream by putting it on the mass two times a day. It isn't getting any worse, but it's not really going away. From what I can tell, she doesn't have anything on her throat.

So I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this is and any suggestions on how to nip this thing in the butt! Thanks so much for any help!!

My camera stinks and trying to hold a chicken's mouth open and take a picture requires talent I don't have.....so I hope this picture will do.

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    duramycin ? i hope someone can help.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Looks like Wet Pox

4. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    Yes Duramycin! Thanks granny hatchet!

BrickWall Honey....thanks I will do some research on wet pox.

5. BrickWall Honey

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Tm,
    Generally the virus itself doesn't kill the birds. They may lose a lot of weight from not eating due to sores in the mouth and trachea and esophagus, I'm not sure where your location Cadiz is but usually mosquitos are the transmitters but also other parasites can transmit, birds drinking water from a waterer that a bird with Wet pox drank from . They are more at risk for secondary infections. Young birds are not able to fight off the virus as easily and have less natural immunity than their older counterparts and may also develop secondary infections.

You can clean off the canker and use something I think is called Lugosol which is an Iodine solution to help.

Hopes this helps.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Thrush also causes a yellow fungus in the mouth, might look into that too and see what you think. It's not something I've dealt with here so I'm not real familiar with treatment other then you'd want to use an antifungal, Nystatin may be the one I've heard.

7. BrickWall Honey

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Might be, but from my recollections Thrush usually causes white lesions. Good point though to check on.

Usually a bird with Thrush will also have lots of diarrhea and whitish lesions on backside around vent. If this is what she has, usually caused by moldy corn and grain.

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i carry no shame. i have had yeast for over 15 yrs. the antibiotics can cause it and it has a distinct sweet/sick smell. in humans, in the mouth it is white, not yellow and doesnt cause swelling to where it couldnt close its mouth.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe what I am thinking of then is canker rather then thrush?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2 Canker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by