I was impatient...moved hen during day... questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carli, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I moved my hen into the tractor today (no roost, just a 4x4x2 crate w/o a bottom), gave her fresh bedding (pine shavings...normally we just use grass), water, feed, and an overturned bin with a cutout as her nest. Our chickens have been going to bed around 6:30pm lately, getting dark here, so I figured moving her around 4:30pm wouldn't be a big deal. She stood fairly motionless all evening, pooped a big pile, ate, and then around 7:30pm laid down in front of the opening to her new nest. I became impatient so I moved her into the nest but she creeped back out and is now sleeping on the grass.

What's going on? How do I make it right? Should I just be patient?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    What are the overnight lows where you live?

3. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    IF it is not that cold yet I would just be patient you showed her the way! she'll figure it out !

4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    The forecast is a low of 47 degrees overnight. I was wondering about how cold she will get. [​IMG] I can see her pen from my front window and she seems to turn slightly every time I peek out. I wonder how well she will sleep.

5. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    It's amazing to me that as my sweet hen has come into her own mothering instincts, my mothering instincts have kicked up a notch. I'm fussing internally wanting to make sure she's comfy and cozy. I never thought I could care so strongly for a chicken!

6. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    the only thing I can think if it will help you rest better is to some how block her in the nest box then in morning let her out?? I dunno sorry [​IMG]

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    She will be fine where she is tonight. But I agree if you will sleep better put her in the nest and block the opening.

8. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:LOL CHICKEN LOVE IT IS GREAT!! I am addicted ! I have 17 babies 2 under a broody that are 3weeks old and the other 15 incubated that are any where from 2 weeks old to a week old I check on them countless times a day! Everytime I talk about them to my hubbie he rolls his eyes and GRINS and tells me I am bored! LOL but then later I catch him holding and petting a baby LOL !! the are catching!!

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    block her in the nest box over night maybe by mron she will be back to her old broody self [​IMG] good luck

10. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    So the broody hen is up and walking around today and seems not so broody anymore. I put an egg in the nest hoping to encourage her. Nothing. Then she began squawking loudly and poking her beak through the chicken wire. Have I lost the broddy moment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by