I was just accused of being a thief!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Oct 22, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I just went to buy gas. I put my credit card in the pump. I needed about 15 gallons. The pump got to about 8 gallons and stopped. Then the cashier went over the loudspeaker and said I needed to come inside. Once inside she told me that another customer had used another pump and mistakenly told them he was on the pump I had. She said that he pumped $19.68 of the gas, and I pumped 32 cents worth. That didn't make sense. I stood there, and I told her I was sure I pumped more than that. She told me adamently that I was wrong and I needed to go hang up the nozzle and try again. She said I didn't have to pay for the 32 cents worth. I told her again that I was sure I had pumped more than that. I started to think maybe I was mistaken and I would go back and see how many more gallons the tank would take. I went back and the tank only held about 7 more gallons. OK, so I knew I was right and she was wrong. I am not a thief. I was about to move the car and park by the door so I wouldn't block the pump and go inside and straighten it out. The last thing I need is some screwball cashier messing up my credit card charges, and I also didn't want the station to be short. I have been a customer there for years. And did I mention that I am not a thief??!! Anyway, as I was about to move the car the the cashier comes running out and saying that there was a mistake. She proceeds to tell me that I pumped $19.68 worth of gas, not the older gentleman. I told her we needed to go inside and get it straightened out. She said to me, "No, you have to give that man $20.00. You owe him $20.00." I told her that I didn't have $20 cash. That was why I was paying at the pump with a card. Besides, I knew I put my card in the pump before I pumped my gas, and I knew it was at zero when I started. The dingbat then yells that there is an ATM inside and I needed to get out $20 to make it right. OK, now I'm getting mad. The other customer is just as baffled as I am. We get inside and she is demanding I take $20 out. I tell her "Wait a minute, you need to get this straightened out the right way!" then the manager came out and asked what the problem was. The cashier pointed at me and said, "Someone is trying to steal gas!" That was the last straw! I yelled back, "I told that woman I pumped gas and she screwed it up." The manager checked the computerized register receipt and determined that I had paid for both loads of my gas. The cashier kept saying that wasn't right, and I owed for gas. The manager then printed both receipts and showed her that it matched the last 4 numbers on my card. I was so embarrassed. That jerk called me a thief in front of about 5 other customers. The manager told her, "You owe this customer an apology." But she just turned away in a huff. I told the manager that I didn't appreciate the employee saying that I was stealing gas. The cashier then yelled back that she never said that. The manager was honest and told me that she heard her say it too. The manager was apologetic and gave me $25 gift card for gas, but I don't think I will ever go back. I might give the card to one of my kids.

I have bought gas there nearly every week for 15 years. I told the manager that I wouldn't be back as long as that person worked there.

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent.

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

If the manager has a brain in her head she fired that girl immediately after everyone left. What a maroon! [​IMG]

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Wow, that's enough to get your blood pressure up! It never fails to amaze me at the stupidity one runs into in public. I'm glad that the manager was on sight and could clear your good name. That employee should be fired posthaste! In fact, if I were you, I would contact the owner of the station and have a talk with him/her. [​IMG]

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Sorry that happened to you.. it is hard to find good help these days!

5. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    WOW! and...she still has a job????

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Hahahah. Sorry to laugh but that's a funny story from over here! On your side it made you mad, but how brainless was that cashier?! I think my barn-yard mutt roo has got more rattling around up there!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    OMG! That highway robbery and that lady should apolozied to you, period! No huffs, or excuses either!

I ought to [​IMG] her for embarassing you! At least the manager made good on his end but she should have been fired right on the spot!

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I bed she was 16 too huh?

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Something similar happened to me last week. They rang up the wrong gas...similar to my amount. I wasn't really paying attention....using my debit....which they swipe. Later to get a call from them saying they called the police to get my name....I buy gas there all the time. Wanted me to come in right away and pay the extra. I told them I'd be in when I come to town next. What dummies....I told her what pump and everything....needless to say I don't buy gas there anymore. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Another wonderful demonstration of the gene pool mix up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by