1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was just given an incubator...the size of a fridge!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bburn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    My DGD and I are sooooo eggcited.

Her grandmother and poppa just gave us their incubator. They have not used it in several years and no longer have chickens. He has a new job out of town and they are moving and asked us if we WANTED it!!

We just went down to look at it and I thought I would be bringing something home the size of a suitcase! It is made from an old fridge. And they gave us a brooder! And they gave us some cages that they used to put the chicks in later before they turned them out.

So, tomorrow we get the trailer out and drive down and collect our goodies.

AND now I have to learn everything I need to know about incubating before spring.

AND I am going to need some LF cochin eggs sometime around April!! I am going to increase my cochin flock this year!

So, I am off to read everything I can find about incubating and hatching eggs!

Yeah, me! Ok, yeah, me and my DGD....best chicken partner ever!

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Better fill it up to make sure it works!!!! Totally full!! [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] FILL IT FULL! YOU WON'T REGRET IT! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Congratulations! That is so exciting!

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, that is excellent!
    An incubator the size of a fridge...let's see, Call Ducks, Pynchies, Jaerhons, Cochins...oh, sorry, I forgot where I was. [​IMG]
    Congrats on the GIANT incubator!

6. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Have to get it home first.

No incubating until this job is over. My DH and I work nuclear outages and he has been out since November and I go down to the plant Monday or Tuesday. Once the outage starts in Febuary we will be working 6-12's or 7-10's. Not much time for the chickens for a while. I will be doing all I can do to feed, water and collect eggs everyday! But then comes the layoff!!!! Sometime in April.

So until then I will be stalking this section of BYC and picking ya'll brains.

And then, when my husband was building the little cochin coop (for three cochins) he said he would build me another coop and run after outage. But that was the LAST one (I only have three!!!). So I said, real sweetly, but I did not even ask!

So, off to read about incubating and oh, yea....genetics!

7. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:Kennedyscochins...hmmmm.....LF or Bantams?

8. badbuffalo

badbuffalo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Fullerville, NY
    aww i want one 2 [​IMG]

9. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Now, you said that you are bringing it to my house right?!? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Kennedyscochins...hmmmm.....LF or Bantams?

LOL! I have both. If you want eggs when it's time, let me know and I'll put you on a list. I have a few people waiting right now. I hope to get started myself in March or April selling eggs and chicks. Just depends on the girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by