I was just given two female Bettas and don't know what to do now.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BookWorm243, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I have a male betta in a 6 gallon fish tank which he has been very happy in. Well my brother got me two female bettas yesterday and I only have the one tank that my male is in. Can they all be together? I can put more Plants and a Aquarium ornament for hiding in the tank if that would help. I know they are going to need a bigger tank but I can't afford one right this second. Is there anything else I can do? Right now they are still in those little bowls that you buy them in. I have them next to his tank and I feel bad because everytime he swims by, they try to follow him but can't [​IMG] Please any info would be great!

Thank You [​IMG]

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    They NEED to be seperate. A vase, a bowl, a jug, anything. The larger the top opening is the better for oxygen. And seperated so they can not see each other.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Can you buy those LARGE and TALL glass vases from Hobby Lobby?

Those things can isolate your girls from the male and still be in the same aquarium with him. You would need to dump water out of the vases now and then by tipping the vases a bit, not to let the girls out but adding/changing water. When the bottom gets dirty, you can take the vase out, put the girl in another container and clean out her vase home.

I've seen people buy cognac vase glass, prop them on a upright stone with a flat top that you can set the vase on. And it adds a bit of variety of acquarium ornaments and very different!

4. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I forgot to ask that as well. Can they actually be together? The male and two females? or even just the two females? I have never had more than one Betta at a time so I am clueless.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    OR you can put the male in the vase home and let the girls have the run of the acquarium, taunting and teasing the male as she swims by! [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Honestly no.

I did have a very young pair in a 55 gal tank and they did just fine, he just not sexually matured enough but I lost them all due to my daughter's insisting to take them to bed with her. [​IMG]

I'm planning on getting a betta, a LARGE glass vase from Hobby Lobby, and a flat topped stone to prop the vase, just enough to reach the surface that the Betta won't jump out.

You can add a bit of acquarium plant to hide the betta but don't totally submerge the vase or heavy cover the top of the vase with greens. Just enough that they can go to surface and breathe a bit.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh you CAN put the two females together in a tank and the betta in a glass container I mentioned. But NOT the Betta male WITH the female..he will fight her after mating or really exhaust her.

8. ttclan

ttclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    Bettas typically need to be separated. Even male and female - the ONLY time to put them together is for breeding and even then you need to separate them again.

When we had ours this site was really helpful: http://www.bettatalk.com/ She has an amazing amount of information there, she is blunt and to the point many times, so be forewarned.

Here's her thread on housing: http://www.bettatalk.com/housing.htm

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    In large, heavily planted tanks, you can keep them together. But, it has to be pretty large and have pretty much solid plantings of thick cover.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:That is what we had in that kind of set up for the pair fo Bettas we had. Worked quite well and when they did confront each other, the female ignored him and the male goes Humpfh! and swimmed away from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by