I was just walking by....

sdm1277

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
POLAND MAINE
I was just walking by and one of my roosters charged at me with feathers puffed!! the only way to stop him was to kick him! i felt so bad but he was not backing down.. i got a call from my husband later in the day that the same rooster attacked my daughter. he actually kicked my daughter in the chest... she was so scared!!!!

any suggestions??????

why dont they attack my husband?? i hold my chickens all the time and i have 2 that charge but this one is more viscious than my silkie rooster..

Regretfully, I agree with nzpouter - aggressiveness is not a trait you want to pass on, especially if children will be around your birds. If it were me, he would have to go to the pot.

They probably see him as head roo and you and the kids are a little farther down in the pecking order (at least in your roos mind) so he's trying to move up the flock hierchy by dominating you and the kids. There are people who try to retrain their roos into accepting them as top of the flock, but I would not risk it with children involved. There are far too many good roos that are slated for freezer camp just because there's no room for them to put up with a mean one. An aggressive roo can cause real and permanent damage to a child and it's just not worth the risk.

I also thought that picking up and holding my chickens would tame them, but it actually upsets the rooster.

My Little Ricky (Cochin rooster) was so sweet for the longest time...until 9-10 months and then he thought he was the boss of me. He drew blood on my wife's hand twice and charged me a few times and I had to give him the boot. I re-homed him to someone that can handle him as he has a lot of experience with roosters.

Little Ricky x2:

Not my rooster, but his long crowing is incredible:

Keep the nice roos,

Hugh

Last edited:
Mine tried it on me exactly once and got put in his place. He tried it on my 12 year old daughter exactly once and got hit with the egg basket. He's not tried it again. That being said if they're mean they are usually taken to the processer here. Mine was just testing his limits and found out that yes, he is low bird around here. DD, DH, and I are top in the pecking order here.
love.gif
: Angelique

Back
Top Bottom