i was not prepared for this storm...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    So, the ducks are going to have to stay in their shed for at least a day or two, or three....ugh..managed to shovel a path from the back door to the duck shed, to bring them food and water. Tried letting them out, thinking they'd hang with me, down in the shoveled area a little. (didn't want to put food and water in their shed!!) but as soon as i let them out,they flew right up onto the snow and off they went!! my yard is not fenced , they have a big run that is now inaccessable......took the whole family to get them back, so now they are in their shed with a bowl of water in a tray, and their food. i have to go out every hour and put more water. And guess what, i can't even put more wood chips down, cause i can't get into the garage where I store them! ahhhh. I really thought i was prepared. never thought we'd get this much snow. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, here are a couple of the ducks yesterday, when the snow was manageable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Sorry....that last picture is classic. You look totally concerned for your little duckies while you man is trudging behind with a "can't believe I'm out here doing this" look. That's my interpretation anyhow! [​IMG]

Man, getting outside looks like that was a chore in itself! Guess I won't complain about the 15 mph winds were getting on this beautifully sunny day.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Next time you will be better prepared. [​IMG] With the duck run, you can run tarps to keep the snow out but you would need to bring them opened from time to time so it would breathe. I love looking at snow but this really takes the cake! I've never had that much snow.

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Wow! Too much snow for my liking. Been there - done that - when I lived in Sask. Not missing all that shovelling. Take care and stay warm.

5. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    The drift against your door is incredible!

We always have some sort of damage when it snows....hazards of having too many trees I suppose
    This happened the last big snow we had in the beginning of the year
    [​IMG]

6. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    lol! actually, that's my 12 year old daughter Nikki in front, and my sister (lol) Amy behind. It is a pain to get them back up from the stream, so she wasn't happy lol. I didn't tarp the top of the run, because i thought the snow might weight it down too much. but i had tarped two sides, the sides the blizzard winds were coming from! didn't help too much, except it did keep them out of the wind yesterday. I'm on the Jersey shore, and this is rare we get THIS much snow, but I'm starting to hate ANY snow. Thanks everyone! Wish I was in the warm areas with you! [​IMG]

7. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    oh wow, Kb is that laying right on top of the run??

8. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    It's the entrance to one of our gardens...DH puts an 8ft fence around them to keep the deer out. The branches on the pines around it are as big as large trees. Why couldn't an oak have fallen on the fence? I could use the wood...[​IMG]

Our mallards are hanging out by my truck today...they don't mind the snow. When we're ready to bed them down they'll follow DH up to their pen
    Such good babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by