I was really confident but now I think I've got cold feet!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PineBurrowPeeps, May 10, 2009.

1. I always knew I wanted some dairy goats. I started out wanting some Nigi's because they are small and don't eat much (in comparison to the BIG girls).
    Well, now I'm going with Saanen's, the largest dairy goat breed.
    Reading all of the things that go wrong for other goat people here is really shaking me up and I am NERVOUS!
    I am so afraid I am going to do something wrong.

Could anyone tell me if it sounds like I have the proper things for them and what else I should have on hand in case of an emergency?

I have:
    A large, safe, fenced paddock with a large fallen tree and lots of boulders for playing.

A draft free shelter with a nice cushy bed of straw.

Hay racks.

Good quality hay.

Goat Feed (same as the breeder is feeding).

Loose Minerals.

Feeders.

Water buckets.

Baking Soda (per the breeder).

The next CDT shots for the doeling.

A Collar and tag for the doeling.

Sheers for hoof trimming.

Now, what should I have on hand for does in case of an emergency?

How often do they need hoofs trimmed?

My son might be getting a free Nubian wether from a local 4-H leader and breeder and I am terrified of UC. I have been reading about it a good bit and I'm scared enough that I almost don't want to get the goat. How can it be prevented?

2. Oh and should I shut them up at night in their house or will they just come and go as they please?

3. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a pretty informative website for you to checkout.
    http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm

I am new to goats as of December 2008. We bought 2 pregnant does and I was like you and was really worried about all that I read, etc. It's not as hard as we all make it seem.

Our goats go back into the barn after dark on their own and as long as you don't have predators there isn't any reason to lock them in nightly. Our biggest problem right now is the one momma getting her horns stuck in the fence when she tries to eat on the other side.

I look at their hooves weekly and trim down even as needed, usually every 4 weeks because it's easier than waiting until there is a lot of excess and that way they get used to their feet being handled.

4. sanctuaryworker

sanctuaryworker Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    hoof trims will depend on the terrain. but I would say every 4-6 weeks.

I dont know where you are located, but one thing I always like to have on hand for animals like that here in Florida is rubbing alcohol and rags. We always keep them handy at the sanctuary, because if you ever have an animal go down in the sun using alcohol on rags on their feet and around their rectum will help bring their body temperature down. I have never had to do it with a goat but it has saved one of our very old arthritic pigs lives.

One other thing I can tell you is that if you dont rotate wormers they almost seem to become immune. I would ask a vet for your area which tow wormers they think you should rotate between.

Dont be too nervous, we have 19 sheep and goats and very rarely have a problem. We did have one brake her leg, and she had to have it amputated, but then she was fine. Thats probably the only goat catastrophe that I have ever dealt with.

5. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    You are ain good shape! Make the plunge and the goats will teach you what you need to know. My eyes picked up on the boulders that you said you have in the paddock. That will help alleviate some of the hoof trimming. Our farm was where all the other farmers in the area dumped their stones, rocks and boulders. It has really helped the hooves of my goats. Each goat is an individual though. Some need more trimming than others. The other thing that I picked up on is the Baking Soda. Baking Soda is controversial. The make up of a ruminants digestive system suggests that using anything that would reduce acid is bad. I do not use it for that reason. I am not a vet nor a biologist, but the reasoning makes sense to me. We use CD anti-toxin for upset stomachs and different oils for suspected bloat. Always keep CD anti-toxin in the fridge as well as Tetanus anti-toxin. Other than that you have it all covered!

Chris

6. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    Jenna, I feel the same way! Seems like their systems are so delicate and then if something does go wrong, they can go downhill so fast. It's a little too much to think about at times so I know I'm not ready yet. I couldn't enjoy them if I was worried all the time.

7. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I'm feeling the same way.I have my goats and 2 lambs now,but I'm constantly worried.
    You need to have antibiotics on hand,syringes with and without needles,tetanus vaccine and tetanus antitoxin,wound care items and wormers.
    Also something like a nutridrench in case they go off their feed and need a boost.I also bought something in case of ingested poisoning.
    I like Jeffers catalog because you can browse through and get a feel for what you need.
    I also got the Goatkeepers Veterinary Book by Peter Dunn.
    It's often a guessing game to figure out what's wrong.
    But go for it. You won't regret it.
    As for the wether,give him the best home you can ,with as much prevention for the calculi buildup that you can. Male goats have few options in this world. At least you know you are giving him a good life.If he succumbs to stones it will be sad,but you will know he had a good life and was loved.That's a lot more than many male goats get.
    When I walk outside and my floppy earred goats come flying over to greet me it's worth every bit of the work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by