I was sold a black Silkie - he or she AIN'T.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlushh, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jlushh

jlushh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    No matter what I will always love this chicken, don't have a clue of it's gender, all black feathers, white skin.

I was sold two white silkies and a black silkie by the way, I have no doubt the whites are silkies, but have no clue what Blackie is.

She/he is 9 weeks by the way :)

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, a full body pic would sure help. Off the top of my head I'll guess silkie/cochin cross, but that's just kinda pulling an answer out.

3. jlushh

jlushh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    I'll try my best to get a full body pic, but if I have the wings out of my hands, they flap a lot, if he/she is free range, they run around like madmen :p

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am not experienced in silkies but the feather pattern on the neck and the rest of its body, they are true feathers, not of any hairy structure like I have seen in silkies.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a silkie mix (maybe, it could be some other creasted breed instead of a silkie)...hope the other 2 dont look likee this and even if they have silkie feathers since this one is a mix they might be mixes as well as as silkie feathering is reseaive while hard feathers (the regular feathers on chickens) are dominat meaning it would take 2 genrations of breeding to get a mix with silkie feathers ex..

silkie x d'uccle = hard feathers (f1)
    f1 x silkie = should give you some silkie feathers and some hard feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by