1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was sooo lucky last night....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pupsnpullets, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I knew there were some wild critters around last night. I felt the 'disturbance in the force' so to speak. All my girls were accounted for this morning so I didn't really give it another thought. This evening, however, when I went to feed them I noticed the hardware clothe had been partially ripped off the side of the coop [​IMG] A couple of years ago my coop was cleaned out by coyotes and all I had left was a momma hen and 4 little babies that I had locked up in another area. So, following the BYC protocol, I had help in building a better and evidently sturdier coop. This coop stood the test but even so whatever it was that wanted in managed to pop three of the staples out along the top but wasn't able to capitalize. Phew!!! Thanks you guys!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm sure you've already done reinforcing repairs!!!

Congrats on your success at predator control.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Man! Those coyotes are strong and they don't mess around! Good thing you built sturdy, Next step, hot wire!

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Yes, and taken the extra precaution of locking the girls inside the house as well as inside the run.

5. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoa! Ain't that the scariest feeling when you find evidence of the coyotes, or any other predator, getting that close to your birds? [​IMG]

We found evidence of coyotes (or maybe that pair of rotten dogs that had gotten Gimpy and Lacey last autumn, I still can't be sure which it was) around our coop one morning. They had managed to pop a couple of the staples on the chicken fencing too. One of them must have cut themselves on the wire because we found bloody nose and paw prints on the glass of the human door going into the coop.

We kicked things into high gear that morning, let me tell ya! Since this happened during a sever cold snap, I knew the girls were safe since the small hen door was closed that night to help keep them warm. If the chicken wire hadn't stopped the predators, and if the hen door had been open, there's a good chance they could have gotten in to the girls.

But those bloody nose and paw prints on the big door just totally unnerved me! We set about putting up an extra perimeter around the scratch yard and the big door of heavy duty field fencing. Heck! Even we have a hard time getting in there in the mornings now! [​IMG] So, I feel pretty sure coyotes and other predators can't get in there now.

I sure hope you don't get any more visits from the local wildlife Pupsnpullets. Nobody needs that kind of "disturbance in the force"! [​IMG]

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Oh yes... glad nothing happened to your chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by