I was SURE I was only getting 6 chickens! NO more then 10 for sure!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] NO you have no idea...my hubby was FOR SURE on this..not a chance I would get more then 6- 10 ! [​IMG] I think I'm mad! [​IMG] Our 6 - 10 chickens went up to a dozen...then to 20 now were at 21! That's it...it's all our hen house will hold. CAN'T get anymore then that. [​IMG] [​IMG] Well, I DID need an indoor coop for the Serama's I have...he built me one...A NICE one too! THEN...I found FREE plywood (20 1/2 sized sheets of it) on craigslist today. What was I going to do??? Let it go to someone else!? It also came with FREE hardwood flooring made by armstrong (enough for a chicken coop) [​IMG] [​IMG] Do you see where I'm going?

Hubby said OK a SMALL chicken coop with a SMALL run. I'm ok with that! LATER we can talk [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We are starting our banty coop this next weekend and I will have cochin bantams along with D'uccles in there [​IMG])) [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, we know how that goes... Max 16.... 30 more later.... ok... well, meat birds don't count.... nor do silkies... just the real chickens... oh chicks don't count either... and it goes on from there.

3. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Step back away from the brooder and nobody gets hurt...

We are all addicts here so we unfortunately will only encourage and even facilitate your chicken addiction!! Life's too short--enjoy yourself--its only a few chickens right...[​IMG]

If you run out of space--you could always move???

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH I almost forgot to add that I'm getting silkie eggs in the mail tomorrow (I hope anyhow) and Sat I should get some silver laced Polish eggs! I am SO hooked! Someone help me!!?? I just can't stop! Now I have to make a new brooder box because the two I have are full! [​IMG]

AND OH...I won't run out of space...we have 20 acres! [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We are all addicts here so we unfortunately will only encourage and even facilitate your chicken addiction!! Life's too short--enjoy yourself--its only a few chickens right...

This is why I love this forum..you guys ALL understand! [​IMG] I even read some posts to hubby and he listens! He really DOES love my chickens! He just doesn't like to admit it. ALthough he is getting close! He even knows names now [​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh, I am SO there with ya on this one. We started with a rooster, we found in the ditch in front of our house. Nursed him back to health...then he "needed" a few ladies, for company. Yeah...no more than 6 or 7...for eggs..just for us. Well...then I needed a few replacement hens...just a few more. We now have
    Coop 1 - 14 BO
    Coop 2 -3 Banty Cochin Frizzles
    Coop 3 - 7 RIR x, 3 Barred rock pullets, and 2 pullets I hatched.
    Coop 4 - a momma with 2 babies
    Coop 5 - has 4 seperate pens A-9 EE, B- 2 rir ans an EE that lays brown eggs, C- 8 White leghorns, D- 2 BO that went broody, I am trying to break.
    Coop 6- 3 turkey hens and a Tom
    One outside brooder with turkey poults ( 5 in there so far)
    one brooder in the coop with babies.
    one brooder in the house with BR babies
    and moveing another brooder into the garage for the turkey poults hatching as I type.
    We are also in the process of building another coop...its 12 x 32, and will have 4 seperate pens in it as well!!
    So yeah...its ok....we all understand...its a chicken thang! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH WOW DEB! That is a lot of coops! [​IMG] I SO want to turn our pole shed into chickenland! I am BEGGING hubby! It would be SO perfect! It really would! I just have to get my FIL to go along with it! AND find someplace for all our "stuff" we have in there. I even told hubby he could keep 1/2 of it! [​IMG]

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    You will get no help on here. Admitting you're an addict only makes things worse.

(went from 10 to 85 in 4 months)

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Am I the only weird one that thinned the flock? It sure was hard to do but had to be done.

10. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Yowsa! Okay so are we addicted to something in the eggs, cute little chickadees, or the lifestyle??? 20 acres is great--so maybe you can parcel some land to the rest of us that need to move--lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by