I was the one who was had to talk DH into raising hens........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarasmith97, Apr 1, 2011.

1. sarasmith97

sarasmith97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    AND now he keeps talking about getting more! LOL! [​IMG] I guess he has gotten bit with the bug! He just loves them. [​IMG] I'm so glad. I thought this was going to be mainly my endeavor, but he is really taking over. Too funny!

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    isn't that how it always is? hubby is against the idea until you do it anyways and they end up loving the idea!! congrats! the best thing about chickens is just having them and watching them!

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    That happened to me too. DH loves em' now. LOL!

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I have been wanting chicks for 15 years but my husband said no. I had a chicken book lying around the house and somehow, this past winter, he picked it up and began reading. After a couple of days, he said that he might be interested in raising chickens, and within 24 hours, I had placed our first order. [​IMG] So, this might be a good strategy for those of you with reluctant spouses. Pick up a couple of chicken books/magazines and leave them out. [​IMG] It worked for me!

5. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    My DH is the one who insisted we move to a farm, then insisted we run out and get chickens. Therefore, the approximately one zillion dollars I have spent to date on chicks, coops, brooders, incubators, food, supplies and fencing is pretty much his fault.

On the upside, however, we do save about $1.99 a week on eggs. [​IMG]

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My family said the same thing...that chickens are messy and alot of work but as soon as they saw the babies, it melted my mother's heart...My dad was sold on the fact that we don't waste table scraps and they give eggs back to the house...lol- they justify themselves more than the wantabe dog (a pug) does!

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Mine is the same way. He told me over and over no chickens. Well, I got a few hens and he said fine, if nothing else we will eat them. Then he caught me browsing hatchery websites and told me I could get some chicks for my birthday. When they arrived, he totally fell in love! Then we got an incubator, a small one. He ran it pretty much all summer. Or rather, he told me to keep putting eggs in and taking care of them. [​IMG]

I got mad at our hens for being a year old and not laying yet, said I wanted to just put them all in the freezer and start fresh. He told me to buy the new ones before killing the others...sounds a lot like permission to buy chicks, doesn't it?

A few weeks ago I showed him some math I worked out--if we were to keep 50 hens, we could sell enough eggs to pay for the feed and still have eggs and chickens to eat at home. He told me to load up the incubator. I did, we've got 70 eggs due in a couple of weeks, and then he heard our neighbor has a 300 egg incubator she's not using right now...he's after me to go borrow it and load that one up too! [​IMG]

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by