I was told Brahma's were poor layers.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The owner of the farm store where we bought all our chicks told us brahmas were poor layers. We didn't care, as we bought ours as a pet. He said I'd be lucky to get 3 eggs a week.

Boy was he wrong! My dark brahma laid her first egg on the 8th and has laid everyday since! That is a great start! They are a nice dark brown color and they are pretty big eggs too! I've gotten 5 eggs in a row so far from her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She's so pretty! I had no idea brahmas looked like that! She has a fierce expression! Very eagle-ish!

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Aren't they gorgeous ? I have a flock that are almost at point of lay. The males have darker plumage and are very handsome! A nice, docile breed.

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have a Buff Brahma and she has layed 8 out of the past 12 days. Pretty good!

[​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Brahma's are stunning! My brahma is top hen and she is a very gentle leader!

dbounds10- Your buff brahma is gorgeous!

6. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Thanks! I would like to have a dark one but alas, I only have room for 6 chickens!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Somebody didn't know what the heck they were talking about. Brahmas are very good layers and will continue to lay in the wintertime after many breeds have stopped. My brahma girls are 3 years, 5 months old now. They are in their yearly molt, all except for my bantam brahma hen Maggie who finished her molt in record time and is back to laying. Just before they started their molt they were averaging 6 eggs a day from 11 of them. I expect about the same when they finish their molts. I consider every other day laying to be excellent from 3+ year old birds.

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have 3 light Brahma's and they have never been great layers. Usually an egg every other day or less. As you stated, I wanted a docile breed and they are just that so they are serving their purpose but I definately would choose another breed if I had higher "eggspectations". [​IMG]

9. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have three bantam buff brahma hens and they are very consistent layers. Super sweet little hens too. [​IMG]

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They're not poor layers for frequency but from what I've seen, the eggs are rather small for the size of the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by