1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was told I had a Jersey Giant but maybe not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I purchased my three original hens from a breeder, my second three from a hatchery. The hatchery birds all appear to be exactly what they were supposed to be. The two of the my breeder birds are pretty accurate as well. However, some folks tell me that my Ethel isn't a JG and she was supposed to be. I thought I even met her momma. So, here is a photo. She isn't so much larger than the other gals but she is also still young, 21 weeks, and I hear they don't grow that fast.

[​IMG]
    Ethel- Jersey Giant by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mabel, Maude and Ethel by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

The breeder was excellent and I want to believe she was correct because I'd love to go to her again if I ever wanted more chickens. She had these amazing Marans.

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    She looks like a Jersey Giant.
    It takes them twice as long to grow as it does a normal sized LF since they are so large.. think of it this way. it takes about 10 - 20 years for an Elephant to mature to full size but it only takes a mouse a few weeks to mature to full size! [​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Oh I'm so relieved. Ethel is a real sweety, so I'd keep her either way. However, I like knowing i have a breeder I can trust too. I know JG's aren't all that rare, but the breeder has some crazy rare breeds that I loved. I just wanted to make sure I was a good chicken keeper before I tried anything too fancy. Ha ha

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:How old is she right now?
    an Im looking into getting into some rare breeds. I have a woman who is going to give me some Cream Legbar roos within the next year!

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    NM!! I just seen she's 21 weeks haha but yeah where 21 weeks in a sex-link or others in similar size is fully grown, your looking at about, if not over, a year for Jersey Giants to reach mature size..

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    jersey gaints have yellow bottom feet austorlrops have pink bottom feet

7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Sometimes, Gianta are giant. I have them and have had them from three differnt lines and none of them have been exceptionally large. My current roo is big but my hens arent as big as my Austrlorps. They are about the size of my Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by