I was told my older babies were a week old, thinking they're actually older. Thoughts?

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
I bought 3 tiny babies a little while ago. I then went back a little while later and added Killian. Killian is now 9 days old. I was TOLD that the three older chicks were a week older. (Maybe a week and a half?)

Killian is still microscopic, and my other ones seem huge compared to her. I'm thinking the older 3 are actually more than a week older than Killian.

Does that growth seem normal for chicks a week older than Killian, or are they actually older than I was told? Or worse, Killian isn't growing?

I kinda need to know a rough idea how much older theytare for heating reasons.

Killian is a black silkie. the others arew two polish, an americana and a gray silkie.

IMG_20190318_192734146_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190318_192737523.jpg

The "bigger" ones look to be about 3 wks old, the little one being a Silkie is a bantam size. Polish & Amerauca (possible EE depending where you got them) are larger breeds.

I've seen Silkies in the "micro" sized, smaller than bantams but they're not as hardy so keep a close eye on that one. Make sure it's eating/drinking/pooping, not getting trampled or bullied by the older ones.

How are you heating? Chicks should have enough space to move away from the heat if they find it too warm. I find MHP (heating pad) alot easier for temps. Blooie's got a great thread/article about it.

The "bigger" ones look to be about 3 wks old, the little one being a Silkie is a bantam size. Polish & Amerauca (possible EE depending where you got them) are larger breeds.

My cellphone keeps autocorrecting, glad you got it though! Stupid question, but are all Silkies Bantam size? Azrath, the blue silkie, seems to grow much faster. I bought them from IFA, so they *should* all be the correct breed. I wasn't told anything about the Silkie, though.

I've seen Silkies in the "micro" sized, smaller than bantams but they're not as hardy so keep a close eye on that one. Make sure it's eating/drinking/pooping, not getting trampled or bullied by the older ones.

Oh yes, Killian gets guarded carefully. She spends most of her time hiding under the older babies for warmth and comfort. She seems to prefer it to heat. She's also a greedy little sucker for food and water. Luckily her poop seems normal as well. The older chicks just seem to tolerate her like they would an annoying sibling. They're all kept separate from my other chickens to make sure they don't get bullied.

How are you heating? Chicks should have enough space to move away from the heat if they find it too warm. I find MHP (heating pad) alot easier for temps. Blooie's got a great thread/article about it.

They have a DIY heating plate at the moment. It's a heating pad that's over a little 'tunnel' they hide in. I have a temp gauge to make sure it doesn't get too hot/cold. In the photo they're in a tiny storage container while I clean their cage, but normally they're in a 5 foot by 5 foot brooder. Once they grow out of it I'll let them run loose in the garage.

Is she just a slower grower than the other ones? I admit I know nothing about Bantams. I'm assuming one day she'll have a growth spurt? I want to be sure I don't feed her 'older chick' food before she's ready. Or let her go outside. I'll also have to check temp requirements for her tiny little butt.

It's so weird having the one little tiny one grow so much slower than the others. My blue silkie seems to keep up in terms of size, at least. I wish I'd gotten another Silkie with her so I knew sizes and she had a friend, but I have too many as it is.

Back
Top Bottom