I was told this was a hen, but...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SoManyHats, Oct 11, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    She is supposed to be one year old, and is very mean to the other hens. I didn't even think she could be a he until someone mentioned the behavior sounds more like a rooster. TIA.

[​IMG]

2. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    The bird looks like a hen to me....I'd even bet on it....~Charm [​IMG]

3. ashlee clarke

ashlee clarke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    It is a hen it is not a rooster

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a hen. If she's new to your flock, it's normal for birds to be mean to each other. Also, in the picture she doesn't look well, is she always hunched like that? If she's not well, that could effect how she interacts with the others.

5. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    I agree with Donrae, she looks sick. And yes, she's a hen, no doubt about it. It's normal for chickens to fight while they establish a pecking order.

6. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I got four of them a couple nights ago and they all look sick to me. She's actually the healthiest looking of the group. They are in quarantine, but I also had to separate her because she was being so violent toward the others. I'm trying to decide whether to nurse them along or send them away.

7. ashlee clarke

ashlee clarke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    Are they skinny if they are they night have worms

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    She is a hen. Glad you have them in quarantine, and in my opinion I wouldn't keep them if they have a sick appearance. Even if you nurse them back to health some diseases they can be carriers of for the rest of their lives and even if they stop showing symptoms they will infect your existing flock and any other new chickens that join later down the road. I would either A) send them right back to the place where you got them or B) Cull them. I would not rehome them to someone new because then their flock will be infected.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

I brought in Infectious Bronchitis to my flock with a mature bird...it's not fun to have to nurse your whole flock and watch some of them die because you took in a bird.

She didn't look really obviously sick, just signs of being a little off. And her shipping mate was terrible to her. Birds know when others are sick and they will be really mean to them.

I was in a hurry with my inspection and missed those signs and regretted it terribly afterwards.

I too kept the new birds in isolation, but isolation is secluded at least 100 feet away and downwind AND biosecure...meaning you are careful to not handle them in the same clothes or boots you handle your birds in. Some diseases can even carry on your hair, so you would have to shower too. Some diseases carry in the air (like IB) so you would have to have the sick birds in a bubble tent.

After my experience, I never take in any mature birds any more. If they are sick, cull them or take them back where they came from and be careful to disinfect and not wear the clothes or shoes out to your chickens or you could bring back to your farm what they have on their farm.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA

Thanks for sharing your story. I was unsure about my decision to get rid of them, but now I am not. They will be leaving as soon as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by