I was told to start my meat chicks off on purina grower is this ok??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    It's my first time with meat birds...they are not cornish cross but they are Freedom Rangers purchased from JMHatchery. Since it does not come in crumble (only pellet) will the chicks be able to eat this? Or is there something else I should start them off on? Thanks for any info!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you need to find out what protein you birds need, meat birds usually need a higher protein than non-meat birds, I give mine 23%

3. jaku

jaku Songster

Just make sure the protein is 20% or more, and you'll be fine. As for the pellets, I would think that might be too big for them to eat. You can crush it if you're really ambitious, but personally, I'd just get them something that came in crumble.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I will do that...can they have medicated chick starter? Or should I get the non medicated? I'm thinking non since we are going to butcher at around 10 weeks.

5. jaku

jaku Songster

Quote:That's your choice. I don't feed medicated- my thought is that if I wanted chemicals, I'd by birds from the store. Plus it's not a magic bullet for keeping them alive.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Good point...funny, my hubby just told me the same thing (whats the points of buying them to raise) [​IMG] He says NO medicated feed so I guess that answered my question. Thanks for your help...I'm getting them at 7am tomorrow (HOPEFULLY) and so I decided to (for now) chop up the grower feed and look to see what other types they have tomorrow morning. I have four different types of feed here at the home already whats one more!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: