I was warned my ducks would be messy but I never expected.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthree, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    .....that they were going to be soooo LOUD!!!! When we got our first ever batch of chicks this Spring my hubby impulsively got a couple of ducklings too. I can't say I was against it, they were adorable. [​IMG] The people didn't tell us they would be so noisy though, luckily our neighbors are far enough away that they don't have to hear them. We love our Pekins, but holy cow can they be obnoxious!! [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Amen to that .. My four Pekins were heade to freezer camp due to the nonstop noise until a predator got ahold of them

3. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I was a bit surprised too by how noisy the girls are. My drake is pretty quiet.

4. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Oh good u made my descion 4 me I was trying to decide which ducklings to get and I can't have them be loud cuz I live 20ft from my neighbors!!!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Duck hens are much louder than the drakes. I wish I was hearing more noise from my four..... [​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have found my females usually settle down a lot once they start laying. I have 3 young ducks who just spent their first night putside- they are quacking their heads of- but my older girls who have just been let out for the day cant be heard.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have determined they are actually adorable little feathered pigs with webbed feet and bills.
    Having said that-I am totally in love with mine-loud, messy, stinky, precious little things that they are. [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pekin are one of the loudest breeds. I have noticed buffs and rouens are darn loud too. My Welsh Harlequins aren't too bad but can get mouthy at times. If you need a quiet duck due to close neighbors, get some scovies.

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Or a duck known for how quiet...the cayugas...so far mine are quieter than my mallards ever were...and I read they are considered a "quiet" duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by