i was wondereing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kentucky jay, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    will chickens eat my creeping flox ? will they get sick from them ? what are some ground covers i can grow that wont hurt my chickens ? or if i already have a yard full of clover will they even bother with the flox ?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have found thats theres not much they won't eat. They didn't eat my tall phlox so maybe thats one plant they won't eat but I think creeping phlox and tall phlox are 2 different plant types.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The only decorative plant they've gone after in my gardens is the hosta. I've heard other people complain about their hostas being eaten, too. I started planting more dark leafy greens and they ate those, instead of the hosta. Which is good, because the hosta was eaten down to the ground. [​IMG]

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Oooh, my chickens love hosta, too! We call it "chicken candy". Fortunately, it seems to thrive on being eaten back, and comes up fine the next year.

About the only thing my chickens won't eat is ground ivy (creeping charlie), a very invasive ground cover that we would love to have thinned out. Figures!

5. kentucky jay

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    dont know what creeping charlie looks like , but i dont have anything that seems to be too invasive so i dont hink i gatta worry about that ! i'm also worried what they will do to my iris , dafodills , and my cherry tree saplings !!

6. kentucky jay

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    oh yeah ...looks like im planting some hosta !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by