I was wondering..

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by The Red Rooster, Aug 15, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

What does wild turkey tast like?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Nothing like the birds you get in the grocery store....but then you probably already guessed that.

It's got a lot of connective tissue and has to be cooked low and slow for a very long time. It has a slightly gamey taste to it but I love it. When we get them it's usually in deer season when the guys are out hunting. I throw them in the smoke house along with the deer sausage and get some good smoke on them... then cut them up, vacuum seal and toss them in the freezer. When I go to cook one I boil it all day long and make a nice rich pot of turkey and sausage gumbo. It is the best.

If you don't have an easy way to smoke one you can get a good facsimile with a bottle of liquid smoke.

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I have eaten it before and liked it. But... last winter I cooked one in my crockpot and the smell was horrible. Talk about gamey. And to this day, my crockpot still has that smell.... Ugh!!! I wouldn't say don't try it, but have a back up plan if you are planning on it for dinner.

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I think I read you should let it sit a bit in the fridge after butcher....the time varies. I can't remember if you brine it before or after the time in the fridge but it will help the connective tissues and maybe the gamey taste too.

Good luck!

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    During Turkey season (hunting) we'll go and shoot a turkey, bring it back, skin it, and then presure cook it and have it for supper! [​IMG]

Wild Turkeys sure don't have much meat, the meat you do get is really tough!

Can't beat fresh Turkey and Deer meat!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    You can bone out the breast halves and then slice those up, pound them out, and make like chicken fried steak. The rest of it just about needs to be boiled/crock potted/pressure cooked into submission and then made into some gumbo or jambalaya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by