I wasn't expecting this.

Top Rooster

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2015
North East Oklahoma
All of my hens that aren't supposed to go broody do, I have no idea why I've had leghorns go broody, now I have an Ancona hen going in the pre broody stage along with my buff orphington. Do any of you know why so many of my supposed non broody breeds go broody?

Tis the season, lol. I have no idea why they're all going broody now, only 2 went broody in the spring. 2 australorps, 1 orpington, 1 faverolle mix, and 1 faverolle are all broody right now in this heat, here.

This is an interesting yet recent occurrence. Other BYCers are reporting more broodies and more broodies that usually never go broody.

There is a biological survival mechanism where animals have the urge to increase their numbers following die-offs of the population. It's less likely domestic animals are affected by this urge, but maybe climate changes in many areas are responsible. Heat waves and flooding have been unusual this summer here in the US.

It's impossible to know without scientific controlled studies. Look on these forums for more reports such as yours, and maybe a common thread will start to be apparent.

It just depends on the individual. Silkies are supposed to be a very broody breed, but some never go broody. Leghorns are supposed to be a less broody breed, but some just want to hatch all the time. It's not as uncommon as you'd think.

How often do you collect eggs?

There are theories that leaving eggs in the nest will encourage broodiness. I find myself wondering if some broody episodes may be affected by a sudden increase in good foraging. For example: Japanese beetle season is in full swing here. While I do not have a broody, and have only had one in the last 5 years, that one DID coincide with Japanese Beetle season. I also wonder if gender of eggs may be influenced by the ratio of roos to hens in the flock. It would be sensible that a flock that was roo heavy might shift the hens toward producing more female eggs. Perhaps this is why a lot of hatches seem to lean heavier towards cockerel production. Just musing out loud. Sometimes it gets cluttered in my brain.

Back
Top Bottom