I wasn't going to care, but curiousity is killing me...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by henrysue, Aug 7, 2008.

1. henrysue

henrysue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Central Washington
    Here are two of my five chickens. The other three are obviously a barred rock and RIR. They all came from the "free chick days" at the local feed store, so I know they're just going to be standard breeds. I can't tell the difference between all the white chicken breeds and the same with the tan breeds, and there are so many! So here goes...

Sasha (white rock, leghorn??) Her tail is different than the others. It sticks up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Betty (buff rock, buff orpington??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Betty looks like a buff orpington with the white legs.

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    The white one looks like a leghorn & the other is a buff orpington. If she was a buff rock she'd have yellow legs. Nice looking birds. They look very healthy and well cared for!

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup leghorn and buff orp id say

5. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Betty is BEAUTIFUL! Named for Betty Grable, I guess, what with those gorgeous gams!

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The easiest way to tell a white rock from leghorn is the earlobes. Leghorns have white ear lobes like yours does.

Rocks should have bright yellow legs. What you have look like a Buff Orpington. They have white to willow legs.

Matt

7. henrysue

henrysue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Central Washington
    Thank you! Those are the answers I was hoping for. And that you for the compliments. For being free chicks, I agree, they sure are beauties! I'm partial to Sasha because she's so classic looking and bright white, but boy does she have an attitude.

I didn't notice Betty's legs changed color. I just looked at pictures of her as a chick, and they were yellower, but they are definitely white now.

8. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:I have a white rock chick...can you tell me what her ear lobes will look like? I'm curious now that I know the leghorns have white ear lobes...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by